Vile Twitter threats to Jess Ennis

It didn't. The post said United were right to employ him because the law says they can, which is a load of rubbish.

I couldn't understand why you asked a question about United being obliged to employ him when no one said they are.

United do not employ him rightly or wrongly at this moment in time.

Regarding the people who may have been sending these vile messages - after the original hearing, when some people illegally released her name on twitter, of the nine found guilty, six were from Wales and some of those were family or friends... three were listed as from Sheffield. All nine were between 21-27.

Now that's three too many from Sheffield, but I don't think it's just a case of United fans only doing these unpleasant acts, there are others who have their own warped reasons for doing so too.

Those who are joining in any sick chants though really need to be dealt with - especially as they tended to be the loudest mouths. This circus needs stopping as soon as possible.

When Evans was convicted he had days left on his contract, to sack him they would have had to go through the PFA which would have taken longer, it was more effective, efficient and quicker to let the contract run it's course which was days.

But hey don't let that get in the way.

Rubbish. A conviction of rape would have constituted gross misconduct, which would have resulted in an instant dismissal if United so desired. Evans wouldn't have had any grounds to appeal his dismissal via his union if he so desired.

I always found it strange that United didn't fire him just to send a message of their disapproval.

When Evans was convicted he had days left on his contract, to sack him they would have had to go through the PFA which would have taken longer, it was more effective, efficient and quicker to let the contract run it's course which was days.

But hey don't let that get in the way.

He was convicted in April. Most contracts expire in June/July, hardly days.

He was convicted in April. Most contracts expire in June/July, hardly days.

I was lead to believe his contract expired in May but either way he was released at the end of the season which was May, as already said the reason for not sacking him was the process needed to sack a player with the PFA.

That is what was said at the time anyway.

Edited by trav4

Rubbish. A conviction of rape would have constituted gross misconduct, which would have resulted in an instant dismissal if United so desired. Evans wouldn't have had any grounds to appeal his dismissal via his union if he so desired.

I always found it strange that United didn't fire him just to send a message of their disapproval.

I think it was mentioned at the time, that if they'd fired him and he then won his appeal, he may have had grounds for unfair dismissal - and with there not being long left on the contract, they just let it run out instead. Perhaps there was a feeling at that time that he would win if he'd appealed, as the verdict did seem to shock a lot of people at that time.

Obviously it didn't work out like that with his appeal...!

I was lead to believe his contract expired in May.

The season ends at the end of May, aren't the Play Off finals on around the weekend of Spring bank holiday? So any football league club will ensure that their players are under contract until at least then.

---------- Post added 16-11-2014 at 13:52 ----------

I think it was mentioned at the time, that if they'd fired him and he then won his appeal, he may have had grounds for unfair dismissal - and with there not being long left on the contract, they just let it run out instead. Perhaps there was a feeling at that time that he would win if he'd appealed, as the verdict did seem to shock a lot of people at that time.

Obviously it didn't work out like that with his appeal...!

No, a conviction for rape is enough grounds for an instant dismissal. An employer can't keep an employee that is doing time for rape on their books just incase they are successful in their appeal.