Religion on tv ?

Some quotations are poetic when taken in CONTEXT ie pillars , corners(to the ends of the earth ) often used by ourselves today' the key is in the context .

The earth was believed to be flat and still is in some circles (forgive the punn)

And why is the earth not a sphere ?

Job 26:7. States correctly also :

*He stretches out the northern sky* over empty space,*+

Suspending the earth upon nothing;

It is interesting, and not unexpected, that you would claim that. I could ask, how are you differentiating between poetic licence and scientific facts, but I won't.

It's also doubly interesting that you should choose the Book of Job as evidence of science in the Bible. Just for japes shall we have a look at what other scientific gems are lying about in the Book of Job? Oh, please, lets.

Job 9:6 Which shaketh the earth out of her place, and the pillars thereof tremble.

Hmmm, so the Earth is supported on pillars. (see also Job 26:11, 38:4-7, Psalm 75:3, Isaiah 13:13)

Job 9:7 Which commandeth the sun, and it riseth not; and sealeth up the stars.

Hmmm, so the sun orbits the Earth. (see also Isaiah 13:10, Ezekiel 32:7, 32:8)

Job 11:9 The measure thereof is longer than the earth, and broader than the sea.

How long is a sphere (hihi) then?

Job 26:11 The pillars of heaven tremble and are astonished at his reproof.

Hmmm, pillars again. I note that you quoted 26:7 in support of your hypothesis whilst also claiming that a verse from the very same section you quoted was poetic yet yours, for some unfathomable reason, was not.

Job 37:18 Hast thou with him spread out the sky, which is strong, and as a molten looking glass?

The sky is hard and strong? Remind me, what id the firmament again, why does it have waters above and below and how does it rain? (Genesis 1:6-8 And God said, Let there be a firmament in the middle of the waters, …)

Job 38:4Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.

Hmmm, them pesky foundations again.

Job 38:13 That it might take hold of the ends of the earth, that the wicked might be shaken out of it?

Where are the ends of a sphere (hihi) again?

Once you've done explaining the above can we get back too:

1. The Earth isn't a sphere.

2. Where are the four pillars that hold up the firmament?

3. Which sections of the Bible contain scientific discoveries yet to be made?

jb

I'll be nice and explain the first one. The Earth isn't a sphere, it is an oblate spheroid. I would have thought god would know that. While you're answering point two you could perhaps explain what the firmament is and how holes open up in it to let it rain.

Your biggy to explain really has to be point three. By explaining this the Bible would be able to make predictions about future discoveries*, your answer would also form the basis of differentiating between poetic licence and scientific facts.

* rather than just shoe horning various passages into discoveries after they are made and claiming them as proof.

jb

Edited by barleycorn

Some quotations are poetic when taken in CONTEXT ie pillars , corners(to the ends of the earth ) often used by ourselves today' the key is in the context .

Bible says stuff I agree with - literal parts

Bible says stuff I disagree with - poetic language and not literal

Forgive me if I don't take that argument seriously.

The earth was believed to be flat and still is in some circles (forgive the punn)
Yes, mostly Christian and Islamic circles as it happens.

In fact, the world famous 'flat earth society' to which I guess you are referring was founded by a Christian and is based on his literal interpretation of genesis.

Edited by flamingjimmy

And why is the earth not a sphere ?

Job 26:7. States correctly also :

*He stretches out the northern sky* over empty space,*+

Suspending the earth upon nothing;

But how are people expected to know what is poetic and what isnt. Perhaps the creation is poetic and not real?

Matthew 24:14

*And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations,+ and then the end will come.

Daniel 12:4

4**“As for you, Daniel, keep the words secret, and seal up the book until the time of the end.+ Many will rove about,* and the true knowledge will become abundant.”

God would open up the meaning of the scriptures ' to whom he chose at a certain time that he had predetermined - the time of the end.

This is the same time of the end as Matthew 24:14

*And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations,+ and then the end will come.

4**“As for you, Daniel, keep the words secret, and seal up the book until the time of the end.+ Many will rove about,* and the true knowledge will become abundant.”

God would open up the meaning of the scriptures ' to whom he chose at a certain time that he had predetermined - the time of the end.

Would you mind responding to post #119?

I mean specific information.

If you have proof that the Bible is "scientifically accurate" you would be able to directly quote or copy/paste a relevant sentence, paragraph or group of paragraphs.

If I make a claim which I know to be true, I will give clear evidence of such and provide an explanation along side it.

To be so vague and ambiguous about how you disclose your 'evidence' just portrays you as disingenuous.

At the very least you could say "From page X up to page Y" so we at least know roughly which area this evidence will be waiting in for us to discover, if we're lucky.

I should have brought my evidence divining rods.

What, exactly, are you trying to say here? Please reply in your own words rather than further Bible quotes. While you're at it, answer the questions posed.

jb

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2012404#h=0:0-7:167

Here are some biological facts that proved true

Would you mind responding to post #119?

I mean specific information.

If you have proof that the Bible is "scientifically accurate" you would be able to directly quote or copy/paste a relevant sentence, paragraph or group of paragraphs.

If I make a claim which I know to be true, I will give clear evidence of such and provide an explanation along side it.

To be so vague and ambiguous about how you disclose your 'evidence' just portrays you as disingenuous.

At the very least you could say "From page X up to page Y" so we at least know roughly which area this evidence will be waiting in for us to discover, if we're lucky.

I should have brought my evidence divining rods.

If you are implying that the meaning of the bible is a secret known only to members of your sect?

---------- Post added 04-12-2014 at 14:43 ----------

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2012404#h=0:0-7:167

Here are some biological facts that proved true

Post the info NOT a link. What biological "facts" are these?