Six myths about how the unions are ruining Britain

It is hardly subjective or well written is it?

Just because you agree with it doesn't make it a "good article".

It uses an 8 year old article, in which a union official calls our Union laws the most restrictive in the western world, and presents this bias opinion as fact. I could tell everyone I have the biggest man parts in the world, doesn't make it a fact. To make it a fact I would have to compare my man parts to other peoples, just as this article would need to explain why that startling claim is correct. Perhaps by giving examples of where legislation falls down in this country when compared to our neighbours.

I do not think the Universal Declaration of Human Rights included the right to strike, though without researching I can't claim this for certain (unlike the author of the article). I studied this treaty in University and do not remember this being a part of it.

It is a pretty poor article from an objective point of view. What makes you think it is a good one?

I think it's a good article, mainly for the last point.

Whatever stance you take on unions, you can't argue that they've done plenty of ground breaking things for the British public :)

Yes the constant strikes that led to the closure of British Leyland were a real landmark. It meant the British taxpayer no longer had to pay night shift workers to sleep on the job.

It is hardly subjective or well written is it?

Just because you agree with it doesn't make it a "good article".

It uses an 8 year old article, in which a union official calls our Union laws the most restrictive in the western world, and presents this bias opinion as fact. I could tell everyone I have the biggest man parts in the world, doesn't make it a fact. To make it a fact I would have to compare my man parts to other peoples, just as this article would need to explain why that startling claim is correct. Perhaps by giving examples of where legislation falls down in this country when compared to our neighbours.

I do not think the Universal Declaration of Human Rights included the right to strike, though without researching I can't claim this for certain (unlike the author of the article). I studied this treaty in University and do not remember this being a part of it.

It is a pretty poor article from an objective point of view. What makes you think it is a good one?

Hang on, in your first sentence you complain that is 'hardly subjective or well written' - so what's your problem? That it's objective, and that it contains factual inaccuracies, or that it is contradictory :confused:

In your second to last line you then complain that it is a poor article from an objective point of view, which yours clearly isn't!

Yes the constant strikes that led to the closure of British Leyland were a real landmark. It meant the British taxpayer no longer had to pay night shift workers to sleep on the job.

Hardly subjective, I thought poor management was why BL lost their way?

It was unions pulling folk out on strike for any reason that led British Leyland to fold and Ford to decide there was no future for its assembly plants in the UK.

And that was caused by poor management, I have been on strike for the odd day; and people only do it for good reasons. Back in the day of weak management, it gave them more reasons.

I think it's a good article, mainly for the last point.

Whatever stance you take on unions, you can't argue that they've done plenty of ground breaking things for the British public :)

I'm anti Union mostly but i do have to admit over the entire lifetime of Unions in the UK they have left a legacy of benefits for workers and the public alike.

They just decided they were going to be the tail wagging the dog in the '60's, '70's and '80's and some leaders went power crazy.

It was unions pulling folk out on strike for any reason that led British Leyland to fold and Ford to decide there was no future for its assembly plants in the UK.

It was poor management. It left the door open for Thatcher to strike. It was quite easy to turn the blame round on the Unions. People don't strike for nothing.