Six myths about how the unions are ruining Britain

Yes the constant strikes that led to the closure of British Leyland were a real landmark. It meant the British taxpayer no longer had to pay night shift workers to sleep on the job.

Unions form some of the largest voluntary organisations in the country, and they have helped secure improvements in the standard of living and quality of life of millions of people.

They are pivotal in campaigns for the eradication of sweatshop conditions, minimum wage and living wage, holiday pay and contributed to equal pay for women, and part time workers. They are also central in the process of improved health and safety in the workplace, and securing better training and qualifications for their members. Those are just a few of their achievements.

Hurray for the unions.

Edited by Mister M

I think it's a good article, mainly for the last point.

Whatever stance you take on unions, you can't argue that they've done plenty of ground breaking things for the British public :)

Yes they have, certainly in terms of ensuring employers don't exploit workers.

I'm anti Union mostly but i do have to admit over the entire lifetime of Unions in the UK they have left a legacy of benefits for workers and the public alike.

They just decided they were going to be the tail wagging the dog in the '60's, '70's and '80's and some leaders went power crazy.

They did, some became far too militant. "Everybody Out" comes to mind, going on strike should only ever be the last resort.

That's what caused the unions to lose their strength and public support, even by those who know how essential unions are.

Yes they have, certainly in terms of ensuring employers don't exploit workers.

They did, some became far too militant. "Everybody Out" comes to mind, going on strike should only ever be the last resort.

That's what caused the unions to lose their strength and public support, even by those who know how essential unions are.

Now the boot is on the other foot. Governments have gone too far and become power crazy. They're starting to see a bit of a public fight back. About time too :)

Unions form some of the largest voluntary organisations in the country, and they have helped secure improvements in the standard of living and quality of life of millions of people.

They are pivotal in campaigns for the eradication of sweatshop conditions, minimum wage and living wage, holiday pay and contributed to equal pay for women, and part time workers. They are also central in the process of improved health and safety in the workplace, and securing better training and qualifications for their members. Those are just a few of their achievements.

Hurray for the unions.

I think more recent changes are due to the EU rather than unions - not as many companies have a union presence, not by a long chalk. Generally speaking, UK employees have never been better protected.

I think more recent changes are due to the EU rather than unions - not as many companies have a union presence, not by a long chalk. Generally speaking, UK employees have never been better protected.

Some UK employees are very well protected, whilst a great many others are not.

It aint no Myth , Unions ARE destroying the country ,trying to hold Governments to ransom with ridiculous wage demands . Sadly nowadays we dont have governments with the balls to crush these militant leftie unions ,like Lady Thatcher did to Scargill in the 80`s.

---------- Post added 15-11-2014 at 14:20 ----------

I'm anti Union mostly but i do have to admit over the entire lifetime of Unions in the UK they have left a legacy of benefits for workers and the public alike.

They just decided they were going to be the tail wagging the dog in the '60's, '70's and '80's and some leaders went power crazy.

Scargill being the obvious one , thinking he could take on Thatcher and dictate to her. How wrong he was ,and his members suffered for him getting to big for his boots.

It aint no Myth , Unions ARE destroying the country ,trying to hold Governments to ransom with ridiculous wage demands . Sadly nowadays we dont have governments with the balls to crush these militant leftie unions ,like Lady Thatcher did to Scargill in the 80`s.

---------- Post added 15-11-2014 at 14:20 ----------

Scargill being the obvious one , thinking he could take on Thatcher and dictate to her. How wrong he was ,and his members suffered for him getting to big for his boots.

All very well but do you have anything interesting to say aside from your usual rhetoric?

Are you talking about the recent NHS strike, where the NHS employees are striking over a 1% pay rise that was offered, and then withdrawn. What do you think would have been a more reasonable pay rise?

Anyone who stands up to the government for what they believe in is a hero in my eyes. Especially when they're standing up to someone as stubborn, evil and destructive as that old leather faced witch.