Six myths about how the unions are ruining Britain

http://www.foodmanufacture.co.uk/Manufacturing/Biscuit-outsourcing-fears-spark-strike-threat

The only indicator as to the reasoning is the sick pay issue! Is the system being abused, how is this affecting production, i.e. the meeting of orders, pre-arranged goods in and out, etc.

It sounds like the union is already there but this is happening under their noses, what is the unions responsibility to the company?

If something isn't sorted then these workers will be out of work! Surely the union is the mediator in all this, sounds like they're failing!

The levels of sick pay would be part of the employers contract, so why should the contract be changed without the agreement of both parties?

In this specific case, it seems that the employers do not want to manage the issue properly, or they are using the excuse of the sick pay abuse to cut costs. After all, if they think that some of their employees are not keeping their end of the contract up, by abusing their sick pay, they should punish that individual employee, and the all their employees.

After all, if they think that some of their employees are not keeping their end of the contract up, by abusing their sick pay, they should punish that individual employee, and the all their employees.

So if one person abuses sick leave all employees should be punished? Incredible!

So what's happened to car manufacturing in this country for one?

These are all manufactured in the UK?

---------- Post added 16-11-2014 at 09:33 ----------

Oh, so there hasn't been any job losses due to the major plants being costly and companies preferring other countries due to less strike action?

Yet you seem to want to defend bankers?

Edited by Bonzo77

These are all manufactured in the UK?

As said earlier, they're all high quality, expensive cars... Not large scale mass produced cars made at plants employing thousands of people, you know like all the big plants we used to have?

Where am I defending bankers in this thread concerning unions?

In that article, explain how the unions have helped the workers? Or is that again evidence that the unions have cost and hindered workers?

That's what I said!

---------- Post added 15-11-2014 at 21:27 ----------

I'm not actually trying to defend the reasoning behind the company decisions on these matters, i'm just pointing out how everything has an effect.

Soon the NHS could be outsourced overseas due to such high wages. Midwives went out on strike over pay recently, all they get is £40k a year!

The midwives were striking because of the 'U' turn over a 1% pay rise that they were promised after years of stagnant pay. Do you think that a 1% pay rise was un-responsible and greedy?

The midwives were striking because of the 'U' turn over a 1% pay rise that they were promised after years of stagnant pay. Do you think that a 1% pay rise was un-responsible and greedy?

I think £40k a year is enough not to quibble about in this day n age! Not enough to be so angered that they go on strike for the first time ever!

I think £40k a year is enough not to quibble about in this day n age! Not enough to be so angered that they go on strike for the first time ever!

Were did you get the £40k a year figure from? Midwives start on Agenda for change band 6 which starts on around £25k and then they rise on their increments to £34500.

£40k a year would be the equivalent of Midwife sister on band 7 on their highest increment.

Putting your inaccuracies to one side. You seem to believe that Midwives should have a lower standard of living year on year, because when inflation is taken into account, their spending power is getting less and less every year. Is this how the country should value someone who makes life changing judgements every day?

Were did you get the £40k a year figure from? Midwives start on Agenda for change band 6 which starts on around £25k and then they rise on their increments to £34500.

£40k a year would be the equivalent of Midwife sister on band 7 on their highest increment.

Putting your inaccuracies to one side. You seem to believe that Midwives should have a lower standard of living year on year, because when inflation is taken into account, their spending power is getting less and less every year. Is this how the country should value someone who makes life changing judgements every day?

The figure was what was reported on the BBC at the time, I can't find anything currently to back it up, one article did mention the average being £32k, so my apologies on that one.

No I don't think anyone should have a lower standard of living year on year. However, in this time of austerity a 1% and 6% increase is unreasonable to me when everyone else is getting cut. This money has to come from somewhere and there's only so much to go around.

From speaking to the two midwives I actually know, they said, oh yeah it'd be nice but we can get by, but since everyone is up for it we may as well (or something to that effect).

Apply your logic to every person who makes life changing judgment's in our public sector and we'll be in a worse economic crisis that we were when all this started.

Who got cut instead so they could have this increase? Was it fair to them?

The unions, in supporting the Labour party cause unnecessary trouble!

The figure was what was reported on the BBC at the time, I can't find anything currently to back it up, one article did mention the average being £32k, so my apologies on that one.

No I don't think anyone should have a lower standard of living year on year. However, in this time of austerity a 1% and 6% increase is unreasonable to me when everyone else is getting cut. This money has to come from somewhere and there's only so much to go around.

From speaking to the two midwives I actually know, they said, oh yeah it'd be nice but we can get by, but since everyone is up for it we may as well (or something to that effect).

Apply your logic to every person who makes life changing judgment's in our public sector and we'll be in a worse economic crisis that we were when all this started.

Who got cut instead so they could have this increase? Was it fair to them?

The unions, in supporting the Labour party cause unnecessary trouble!

So just to sum your position up.

A 1% pay rise, that was awarded by a review panel, but was removed by the government, after around 5 years of not having any pay rises, is a unreasonable expectation?

Also one thing is for sure, if midwives just worked the amount of hours that they contracted to and they took their breaks, or claimed the overtime for all the time that they have to stay over. The NHS would be in a really worse place.