The Sheffield monorail that never happened

kev21662

The Sheffield Mini Tram was a serious proposal for a monorail system in the City back in the 1970s. It formed the basis for a college project I did on local transport back then. A SYPTE higher-up I interviewed, told me that they always considered buses to be the best option. Now we've got the Supertram!

http://www.welovesheffield.uk/magazine/history-nostalgia/6-sheffields-aborted-monorail-plans.html

I seem to remember an idea of locating the monorail system to trvel from middlewood to city centre over the river don,i think eric taylor was a proposer of this as it would of course pass the wednesday football ground.had this happened it would have run past a lot of industrial works and been a great boon to all without the upheavel of roads or demolition of housing, and in all probability would still be running today.too futuristic at the time maybe ?

• 2 weeks later...

I was told that the hole in the Moorfoot Building (old Manpower Services Commission) from the bottom of the Moor in the direction of London Road had been designed to allow the monorail to pass through.

I don't know if this is a Sheffield urban myth or true.

• 10 months later...

A Monorail might be nice but the cost would fall to the Sheffield taxpayers and they are very likely to say there are higher priorities. Someone said buses do the job.

In fact if Sheffield gets a Mayor with its own budget in the near future, it might be worthwhile for Forum viewers to outline their recommendations for the city's future financial priorities ? If it proves to be a useful exercise, it might get into the hands of the decision makers for their consideration.

I was told that the hole in the Moorfoot Building (old Manpower Services Commission) from the bottom of the Moor in the direction of London Road had been designed to allow the monorail to pass through.

I don't know if this is a Sheffield urban myth or true.

The original plans had a route running from Sheffield Midland Station to Moorfoot and so a station at the Manpower Services building would have been logical.