Which RD for Beighton

Minimo

I'm after a birth certificate to try and identify my ggm's maiden name. The child, George Ward, was born 5 Jan 1838.

There is only one possible entry in the BMDs but it is Sheffield. I thought Rotherham was the RD for Beighton, but there is no entry for there.

Is it likely that the Sheffield entry will be the one I need?

Edited by Minimo
added name

Hi Minimo - could George's father have been Jeremiah Ward? I ask this as the 1851 census shows a Jeremiah Ward, born at Beighton but living in Sheffield with his Handsworth-born wife Elizabeth and four children, all born in Sheffield including the 13 year-old George.

Yes that's him. But I have hit a brick wall with this branch of the family. I know Jeremiah's wife was Elizabeth, but not her maiden name.

So I have no parents for either Jeremiah or Elizabeth.

George is the first child born to them post 1837.

Yes I think you are right. I've spent so much on certificates, not all of which proved helpful. so what's one more. Hopefully it will be the right one and help knock the annoying brick wall down, so I can get a bit further with that line.

Thanks hillsbro.

Yes I think you are right. I've spent so much on certificates, not all of which proved helpful. so what's one more. Hopefully it will be the right one and help knock the annoying brick wall down, so I can get a bit further with that line.

Thanks hillsbro.

If it turns out not to be the case- Beighton pre-1967 was in the rd of Chesterfield as it lay in Derbyshire.

If it turns out not to be the case- Beighton pre-1967 was in the rd of Chesterfield as it lay in Derbyshire.
Yes indeed - some of my ancestors lived in Eckington and their registration district was also Chesterfield. But the births index shows that the only local (i.e. Derbyshire or South Yorkshire) George Ward born in the first quarter of 1838 is the one referred to whose father Jeremiah was from Beighton, and this George's birthplace is given as "Sheffield" in the 1851 census return.

• 2 weeks later...