Sheffield Half Marathon now open for entries

Don't know how it compares to those but its 3 miles at an average of 4%.

I've run it loads of times (but via whiteley woods, fordge dam etc) , it's never that steep but just a long drag.

Yeah, true. I do enjoy that run and then up over the top and down to Eccy Woods and then Abbeydale Road.

Can`t picture all of the route. How does the climb and the total climb compare to Buxton and Eyam?
A mate mapped it at short of 1000ft of total elevation. I don't think it's going to be as bad as people think though. Stiff climb in the early-middle miles but 6 miles of constant downhill / flat to finish. Not a PB course but nothing like Eyam.

Said 2014 would be my last, but if John Burkhil's giving it a go I can't miss out. Bound to get a course PB at least and nice to get a fresh start. With hindsight this is what should have happened when DVS was demolished for this year.

Does anyone have a map of the route please? I can't work out the Norfolk Arms bit.

Also, does anyone know if the junior fun run starts around the same time? Ideally I'd like to do the half and then the fun run with my daughter but I'm doubting that's possible.

It does sound good. Not what I`d hoped for but certainly different. Personally, I`m thinking of targeting Manchester marathon but it`s too close to this one to do both so Sheff HM will be my fall back. Also it is expensive but I do expect that it`ll be better value than the previous one was.

OK, any advice for a 1/2 newbie?

I'm not a regular runner but did the BUPA 10k in 2009 during a weight loss programme. I've lost quite a bit more since and have always wanted to do the Sheffield half.

Looking at their 16 week programme and have recently kicked off a couch to 10k programme again just to get me back into it. I am pretty active, just way behind on running. 5 months away so should give me adequate time to get myself properly trained.

OK, any advice for a 1/2 newbie?

I'm not a regular runner but did the BUPA 10k in 2009 during a weight loss programme. I've lost quite a bit more since and have always wanted to do the Sheffield half.

Looking at their 16 week programme and have recently kicked off a couch to 10k programme again just to get me back into it. I am pretty active, just way behind on running. 5 months away so should give me adequate time to get myself properly trained.

If you have a plan - stick to it.

The golden rule (for me) is that you gotta do 10 miles (TEN) 1 month before at least once. Race pace, race kit,food & drink etc so comfortable you can go do the supermarket run afterwards.

Good luck