Trans pennine trail on a bike

• 2 weeks later...

I did the Whitehaven to Sunderland C2C route a few years back. Didnt think it was too bad - the route west-east seems to make all the climbs short and steep and the descents long, so you can get the climbs done quickly and out of the way. We managed it in a couple of days, but I felt bad for the few people we met doing it east-west. Long drawn out climbs against the wind.

I've been looking at the TPT route for a while now. Not sure I'd fancy doing it in one go, but thought about heading from Sheffield to the coast one time, then heading from Sheffield to the opposite coast another time. Try to break it up a bit. The C2C crosses the country at possibly it's narrowest point, the TPT doesn't make things so easy so I'm not sure I'd fancy the lot in one go... :|

I think you can get guide books and stuff for the TPT, I'm sure they'd have some information on accomodation along the way etc. Might be worth having a look in the tourist info office, wherever it is these days?

Hi, I'm the Sustrans Liaison Ranger for Sheffield so I look after the trans-pennine trail as best I can in this area. The trail I think is a fabulous ride. I don't know the west side so well, but have heard good reports of it. From Warrington to Manchester you're on an old railway line, then it follows the route of the Mersey to Stockport, veering off through woodland and parks to take you up to Hayfield. The Longdendale trail, the most spectacular part, takes you up to the Woodhead, where a steep track gets you on the tops and back down to Dunford Bridge where you follow the disused railway to Penistone. Here the trail splits - you can head down towards Sheffield & Chesterfield or across to Barnsley, then via Doncaster to Selby, where you can either head up to York or across to Hull and hence Hornsea, the end of the trail. It takes you across some of the most varied scenery in England, and is all very accessible from Sheffield (the links from Sheffield start at or near the Canal Basin, the Five Weirs Walk heading north and the route alongside the parkway going to Rother Valley and then south to Chesterfield, with another route heading for Worksop and then Nottingham via Clumber Park). It's different from the CTC which is nearly all rural - on the TPT you get a real mix, but nearly all traffic-free or on <<very>> quiet roads. Some of the surfaces are not as good as they could be, so you need mountain bikes or hybrids & be prepared for puddles and some mud.

We have regular rides and clean-up sessions on the trail in Sheffield - let me know if you'd like to join in.

Enjoy!

Simon

• 4 months later...

old thread i no but i fancy a ride out, i have been on the 5 weirs walk from the city centre to meadowhall but i fancy heading out towards wharncliffe and through the woods.

I find plenty about the tpt but no detailed maps! i live in the centre and i have no idea where the route runs through sheffield or where the get on or off points are!

• 5 years later...

Archived