Curzon cinema, George Street

Bilge

I was more than happy to pay a bit more for a much more pleasant very high quality cinema experience.

But, as you say, it was fairly quiet on a Saturday night, so the evidence so far is not many people are happy to pay a bit more for that experience. Maybe not enough to keep it open.

They are not exactly on a thoroughfare, unless you include folk being ejected via the back door of the Mulberry - hardly inclined towards cinema going, I'd suggest.

They need to compete with the chains and put on "diffrerent" films. But of course they are themselves part of a chain, so there's the rub.

If they put on Audition, or Tokyo Decadence.....well, now you're talking.:hihi:

• 4 weeks later...

I really don't think they've done their market research.

Charging double the price of the beloved and popular Showroom, and making people walk down some dark, urine-smelling, tramp-lined alley to get to it.

They'd've been better doing something a bit different - setting up in Nether Edge or the old cinema on Abbeydale Road (i.e leafier and with plentiful parking). Being like a Penistone Paramount but for south/west Sheffield. A Lantern Theatre to the Showroom's Crucible

I really don't think they've done their market research.

Charging double the price of the beloved and popular Showroom, and making people walk down some dark, urine-smelling, tramp-lined alley to get to it.

They'd've been better doing something a bit different - setting up in Nether Edge or the old cinema on Abbeydale Road (i.e leafier and with plentiful parking). Being like a Penistone Paramount but for south/west Sheffield. A Lantern Theatre to the Showroom's Crucible

Well it would be great to see someone do something with the beloved AbbeyDale cinema - however parking on Abbeydale road are you joking ? though there is parking behind it .... I thought Michael Palin and Peter Stringfellow were buying it to convert it anyway ?

The Abbeydale picture house was purchased 3 years ago with plans to convert it for community use, it's used occasionally for antiques markets and other events.

The main room would be too big for the modern boutique cinema that Curzon are going for the screen rooms are small so an old style threatre which once held 1,500 people is pretty useless to them.

The Curzon building is perfect but the route in isn't exactly urban chic, I'm not sure it would work in Nether Edge but there are plenty of better locations nearby Canada House, Castle House or even the old Town Hall / Court House while they aren't exactly on the high street at least the approach doesn't smell of urine. Perhaps if they paid for George Street and it's approaches to be lit properly this wouldn't be a problem...

Perhaps if they paid for George Street and it's approaches to be lit properly this wouldn't be a problem...

They could also do with red neon signs with big arrows at both ends of George Street. Most visitors to the city would never know it was there. I imagine a lot of residents still don't.

I agree with most of what Dan_Ashcroft said, it doesn't seem well thought through (especially the price and the locals' propensity for fiscal perspicaciousness). However, I watched a movie at the Curzon on Sunday and thought it was an excellent experience! I'm a big fan of the Showroom and will continue to be, but surely a city the size of Sheffield can can cope with two art cinemas.

I for one will visit both - probably means that I'll go to the movies more often, but that's no bad thing!

As above, I will pay that extra for the poshness of the place. I think the beer at £4 a 330ml bottle is over priced but saying that I can get served and get a seat unlike the Showroom.

The Showroom is a bit tired, showing the start of films within minutes of one another and trying to get a coffee and pop corn requires a lot of patience. Stupid queue's then nothing for nearly two hours. As for the bar well they lost my custom years ago. The most ignorant bar staff ever encounted. Never once got served in my turn and once being the only person at the bar got completely ignored. I now go to the Sheffield Tap.

But I think the Curzon will fail. Back street what nobody's knows, a certain class of people who is prepared to pay and then there is the homeless in the next doorway down.