Entrepreneur or a bit of a scallywag?

No, but he's not.

True, but it doesn't take huge entrepreneurship to sell sweets to a captive child market with no competition. All you need is a small amount of capital (say £50) and a total disregard for rules, or for those in authority.

For every Alan Sugar protégé who starts their global business like this, there are a hundred more deluded wannabes who leave school with mediocre exam results and a history of time-wasting run-ins with the school.

Many years ago a little boy used to come to my house(he was about five!) and would ask if I wanted anything from the shop he would then add it would cost me threepence (3d!) He is now a well known business man in Sheffield and a millionaire!!

Good for him. That is entrepreneurship (a prototype 'personal shopper'!).

The difference between him and this lazy-arse in the news at present is that your guy wasn't breaking any rules and he was putting in more personal effort and initiative.

If the 15 year old under discussion had run a stall selling fruit and raw veg (which is all teenagers should really be eating between meals) , I would predict that he wouldn't have had the marketing skills to make a success of it. What he was doing was easy - like selling drugs to addicts in prison.

Let's hope he pulls his finger out and improves those Cs and Ds that he believes are adequate.

Quite. Adequate for an unskilled job in a retail environment, perhaps. He's hardly 'The Apprentice'. Although saving the money for his university fund is admirable in principle, the university course he gets onto with grades like that will be adequate only for ...a low-skilled job in a retail environment.

Edited by aliceBB

True, but it doesn't take huge entrepreneurship to sell sweets to a captive child market with no competition. All you need is a small amount of capital (say £50) and a total disregard for rules, or for those in authority.

For every Alan Sugar protégé who starts their global business like this, there are a hundred more deluded wannabes who leave school with mediocre exam results and a history of time-wasting run-ins with the school.

but thats exactly what an entrepreneur does:rolleyes: exploits an untapped market and thats exactly what he has done nobody else did it and he jumped at it, rules are made to be broken its just some have the guts to break them to get in front, good for him.

better this way than deluded wasters who sit on their ass and expect everyone else to pick the bill up

---------- Post added 22-11-2014 at 13:19 ----------

You are against total inclusion in schools? Please tell me what type of children you think shouldn't be included. I'm genuinely intrigued to hear your views on this.

I would say it is more to do with health and safety concerns and the fact that the items he is selling are proven to negatively impact the concentration levels of children.

If your child bought these sweets and became seriously ill due to a bad batch or out of date confectionery, would you blame the school? Would you sue them,

where did i say i was against inclusion??? what i said was that school policies now demand everyone gets included and what they dont like is one person /pupil being better or seen to be better they want a level playing field remember sports days? where nobodywon and all were winners!!!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes: this lad should actually be a role model to the other kids.

as for the health and safety angle you are on about absolute rubbish when was the last time you heard that someone became ill from an out of date sweet??? sugar is a preservative it doesnt go off:rolleyes:

but thats exactly what an entrepreneur does:rolleyes: exploits an untapped market and thats exactly what he has done nobody else did it and he jumped at it, rules are made to be broken its just some have the guts to break them to get in front, good for him.

better this way than deluded wasters who sit on their ass and expect everyone else to pick the bill up

:rolleyes: I rest my case.

I stumbled upon this report of a schoolboy being threatened with suspension from school for selling sweets to his mates.....

What do you think?.....Personally I admire him....he seems to have his head screwed on....Not strictly in line with the policy of the school, but hey ho...

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/school-threatens-suspend-15-year-old-schoolboy-8145294?ICID=FB-MEN-main

Yep...definately a future newsagent...a shop near a school.