Manor Castle Village _ Manor Lane

i used to live behind manor castle on the wybourn and spent many an happy hour on the fields and ruins. used to go to billys for 1 cig and match for a penny. when the cottages came empty where berthas were me and friends used to hide in ruins . silly really as there was no floorboards only girders and we walked across them.and further back going on to the fields was very old pig stys that looked like caves .we played in them too

• 4 weeks later...

they was indeed. we used to call them the black hills on the fields.also the 2 pieces of rock on the hills we used to climb,one looked like a lion and the other like an elephant or so we thought.lol.we used to ride our bikes or in thick snow, sledge on them ,and just below the hills where our house was ,all of us kids on our rd used to have our bonfire on there.it was massive. you,re right ,they were happy days

It’s actual name is Manor Lodge, and it was massive in it’s heyday, it was the home of the Earl of Shrewsbury, who was charged with the retention of Mary Queen of Scots by Queen Elizabeth 1. I well recall the cottages from my childhood, the stone from the lodge has been systematically pillaged over the years. Sheffield City Council have a habit of preserving historic buildings when there is hardly anything left of them.