Silent Witness set in Sheffield

astrols

I've just watched a 1996 Silent Witness, supposedly set in Sheffield,

where a number of young girls are being murdered, but one is from a care home and buried on Bleakstone Moor? where they eventually find her 10 years later.

They do all their tricks on her and eventually discover she had no family and only by putting her picture out do they find out that she'd been living rough in Sheffield and an ex mate identifies her.She'd been missing since the 1980's.

The guy who's taken the wrap for these murders. and turns out not to be the actual murderer, is from West Rotherham and her body is found not 10 miles from a farm the convicted criminal used to visit.

Is it me or was this a veiled reference to what was going on in South Yorkshire at that time? It was nothing to do with grooming gangs or anything like that, but was it actually common knowledge that these things were happening in our city and we were kept ignorant of it, while the media clearly weren't?

In light of the recent revelations I have to ask - why else would they choose Sheffield?

Guest makapaka

where a number of young girls are being murdered, but one is from a care home and buried on Bleakstone Moor? where they eventually find her 10 years later.

They do all their tricks on her and eventually discover she had no family and only by putting her picture out do they find out that she'd been living rough in Sheffield and an ex mate identifies her.She'd been missing since the 1980's.

The guy who's taken the wrap for these murders. and turns out not to be the actual murderer, is from West Rotherham and her body is found not 10 miles from a farm the convicted criminal used to visit.

Is it me or was this a veiled reference to what was going on in South Yorkshire at that time? It was nothing to do with grooming gangs or anything like that, but was it actually common knowledge that these things were happening in our city and we were kept ignorant of it, while the media clearly weren't?

In light of the recent revelations I have to ask - why else would they choose Sheffield?

Are you by any chance sat under your stairs wearing a tin foil hat?

• 2 months later...
?? Are you by any chance a Labour supporter? That's the only explanation I can think of for such an inane response!

I take it that by your response that you are not a Labour supporter but are using the original post to have a go at the Labour controlled council in ROTHERHAM which geographically is not our City. However, the Medico Legal Centre is in Sheffield and was referred to many times during the early series' of Silent Witness. The Medico Legal Centre is run by the Labour controlled council of Sheffield, and is revered by many forensic departments in the world not only in the UK. I would think that the producers/writers of Silent Witness have used the Medico Legal Centre for advice and information and have linked the two together and that is why Sheffield is mentioned and used in the programme. Much the same as you would ask a Tory how to avoid paying tax.

I take it that by your response that you are not a Labour supporter but are using the original post to have a go at the Labour controlled council in ROTHERHAM which geographically is not our City. However, the Medico Legal Centre is in Sheffield and was referred to many times during the early series' of Silent Witness. The Medico Legal Centre is run by the Labour controlled council of Sheffield, and is revered by many forensic departments in the world not only in the UK. I would think that the producers/writers of Silent Witness have used the Medico Legal Centre for advice and information and have linked the two together and that is why Sheffield is mentioned and used in the programme. Much the same as you would ask a Tory how to avoid paying tax.

You're right that I'm not a Labour supporter but it remains to seen what Rotherham and Sheffield councils have in common other than being controlled by Labour.

However, I do thank you for what is a feasible explanation for why Sheffield should have been used in this episode.

Sheffield is mentioned many times in the series, as the character Professor Leo Dalton (played by the excellent Bill Gaminara) is portrayed as having lived and worked in the city. I seem to remember that his family were killed in a car crash in the city in one storyline.

---------- Post added 16-02-2015 at 06:43 ----------

Incidentally the episode referred to by the OP was entitled "Lost" and was from 2011 and not 1996.

Sheffield is mentioned many times in the series, as the character Professor Leo Dalton (played by the excellent Bill Gaminara) is portrayed as having lived and worked in the city. I seem to remember that his family were killed in a car crash in the city in one storyline.

That particular episode was filmed along South Road, Walkley.

• 8 years later...
On 24/11/2014 at 00:24, astrols said:

Series 14, episode3, was produced in January 2011, definitely long after the 1996 start of this brilliant series.