Cleveland, US. Police kill boy, 12

What a load of Ballistics.:loopy:

Just because you are incapable of shooting straight doesn't mean others can't :D

---------- Post added 26-11-2014 at 10:51 ----------

There seems to be an overwhelming complusion to pull the trigger rather evacuate the scene to isolate and then incapacitate if the danger persists.

Was it possible to isolate the danger? If someone has a firearm it's rather difficult to actually do that especially if they are moving about.

Was it possible to isolate the danger? If someone has a firearm it's rather difficult to actually do that especially if they are moving about.

It seems the surveillance tape is about to be released. What I find a little unnerving is that they got within 10 foot of the child..almost touching distance.

Do you get that close if you suspect an individual as armed and dangerous?

It seems the surveillance tape is about to be released. What I find a little unnerving is that they got within 10 foot of the child..almost touching distance.

Do you get that close if you suspect an individual as armed and dangerous?

I suspect that tape could be very interesting viewing. Get close? Depends. If you were wanting to disable someone without shooting them you have to be close - but 10 feet still means if they pull a gun you are going to have to shoot.

I suspect that tape could be very interesting viewing. Get close? Depends. If you were wanting to disable someone without shooting them you have to be close - but 10 feet still means if they pull a gun you are going to have to shoot.

But by moving in so close you cut down your own chances of survival by reducing the arc of fire, or if so close, both officers could have opened fire with intent to disable, considering they both had the drop on the kid. It also seems that all information on the ground wasn't forth coming to the officers, dispatch apparently didn't convey the information they received from the public regarding a fake gun. With that information it may have been approached differently although no less cautiously.

Isn't it standard procedure for the felon to be ordered to the ground before moving in?

I have no idea what his emotional state of mind was.

Obviously no emotion at all, otherwise why become a cop? You don't become emotionally devoid because you've done 10 weeks of textbook training. you're inference is that to carry out a specific action you have to dump emotion in order to carry out an act as though it's some sort of hindrance, my argument is emotions are a VERY useful tool, dumping them is almost impossible to the point of emotional increase and awareness as a counter.

Obviously no emotion at all, otherwise why become a cop? You don't become emotionally devoid because you've done 10 weeks of textbook training. you're inference is that to carry out a specific action you have to dump emotion in order to carry out an act as though it's some sort of hindrance, my argument is emotions are a VERY useful tool, dumping them is almost impossible to the point of emotional increase and awareness as a counter.

Emotions aren't the same in everyone, some people get angry very easily, you also wouldn't want someone like that to be an armed cop. One would hope that anyone wishing to be a cop would be weeded out if their emotion are likley to get the better of them and stop them carrying out their duties effectively.

That's a good reason to avoid becoming a cop, your emotional response to seeing a kid with a gun could end up costing the life of innocents.

Or you could go the polar opposite and shoot a totally innocent (and technically unarmed) 12 year old boy with his whole life ahead of him.

What did the phone call to the police go like again?

“There’s a guy with a pistol…you know, it’s probably fake but he’s pointing it at everybody.

“I don't know if it's real or not."

And let's not forget the fact that he was black.

One would hope that anyone wishing to be a cop would be weeded out if their emotion are likley to get the better of them and stop them carrying out their duties effectively.

You are assuming that everyone agrees with your definition of 'effective' policing. I don't.

I agree with Bonzo, in fact.

Or you could go the polar opposite and shoot a totally innocent (and technically unarmed) 12 year old boy with his whole life ahead of him.

What did the phone call to the police go like again?

“There’s a guy with a pistol…you know, it’s probably fake but he’s pointing it at everybody.

“I don't know if it's real or not."

And let's not forget the fact that he was black.

With a clear fascination of guns and his colour is irrelevant so I have no idea why people keep bringing it up.

---------- Post added 26-11-2014 at 19:51 ----------

You are assuming that everyone agrees with your definition of 'effective' policing. I don't.

I agree with Bonzo, in fact.

Until a kid with a gun shoots one of your kids whilst the police stood by and watched.