Cleveland, US. Police kill boy, 12

The police are not there to decide if it was a toy gun or a real gun. They are there to serve the public trust, protect the innocent and uphold the law. It looked like a real gun. If the kid had used it to shoot someone dead there would be hell to pay if the police had the opportunity to stop him first but failed to do so.

Cops should be highly trained for these kind of situations. Pulling the trigger, with intent to kill, should be a last resort, not a quick decision just in case things might go bad. Especially when the call stated that the gun could be a fake.......and the suspect is 12 years old.

---------- Post added 26-11-2014 at 20:04 ----------

...........I don't know where to start with this?!

Why are young black Americans more likely to be involved with crime in the first place? That's the root of the problem.

They are highly trained to deal with these situations. They are trained to kill someone who tries to draw their weapon. Would you honestly want the cops to allow people to draw their weapons before firing?

Would you stand in front of a 12 year old and stay there while he pulled the trigger? Genuine question..

No, neither should the police. Let's not forget that they had cover, numbers on their side and probably dressed in body armour.

---------- Post added 26-11-2014 at 21:03 ----------

They are highly trained to deal with these situations. They are trained to kill someone who tries to draw their weapon. Would you honestly want the cops to allow people to draw their weapons before firing?

If it's a 12 year old boy and there's a suspicion that the gun 8 a toy........yes

No, neither should the police. Let's not forget that they had cover, numbers on their side and probably dressed in body armour.

---------- Post added 26-11-2014 at 21:03 ----------

If it's a 12 year old boy and there's a suspicion that the gun 8 a toy........yes

Ok, so what is the cut off age for this decision? 14? 16? 18? 21?

Just to get this clear, you believe that people below an age you are about to confirm should be able to draw a weapon on cops? What if it was your mother instead of the cops? Would you be happy to allow the kid to draw because he was so young?

Look at the video! The cop doesn't even hesitate. Why didn't they pull up and put some distance between them and the kid, take cover behind the car and shout at him to put the gun down???

---------- Post added 26-11-2014 at 21:14 ----------

Ok, so what is the cut off age for this decision? 14? 16? 18? 21?

Just to get this clear, you believe that people below an age you are about to confirm should be able to draw a weapon on cops? What if it was your mother instead of the cops? Would you be happy to allow the kid to draw because he was so young?

Watch the video.

Having now seen the video of the shooting I have now changed my stance, the boy was in a park at night with no one else in sight, then what appears to be a police car turn up and within seconds the boy is on the floor after been shot, the police didn't have time to give him instructions, they shot as they exited the car.

I'm not watching because:

A) it will give the daily mail money

B) if I see a 12 year old get shot does that make me any better than those people who watch IS beheading videos?

I watched and gave no money to DM

I didn't watch in order to satisfy voyeurism.

Look at the video! The cop doesn't even hesitate. Why didn't they pull up and put some distance between them and the kid, take cover behind the car and shout at him to put the gun down???

---------- Post added 26-11-2014 at 21:14 ----------

Watch the video.

The video is inconclusive. The cop shot as soon as he got out of the car because the boy went for the gun straight away.

The boy was probably scared and definitely didn't deserve to die, but the officer presumably felt he was under threat.

Tragic event and I feel for his family, but the cop should not be blamed from what I have seen.