Cleveland, US. Police kill boy, 12

The video is inconclusive. The cop shot as soon as he got out of the car because the boy went for the gun straight away.

The boy was probably scared and definitely didn't deserve to die, but the officer presumably felt he was under threat.

Tragic event and I feel for his family, but the cop should not be blamed from what I have seen.

The officers put themselves in that position by driving right up to the kid. In a "possible" life/death situation do you find that reasonable if not professional?

The officers put themselves in that position by driving right up to the kid. In a "possible" life/death situation do you find that reasonable if not professional?

Perhaps it is protocol to close down the threat as soon as possible? I'm not sure though.

Perhaps they didn't expect him to go for his gun.

He did brandish the gun at the person walking past with the blurred face. Was it them that called the police?

I had a bb gun that we used to shoot at people when I was a kid so I understand the boy probably wasn't malicious, just playing around.

Had the armed police come and shot me after I tried to pull it out at them, would I deserve it? No. Would the coppers be in the wrong? No

Unfortunately, the police car blocks the view of what actually happened. I would like to see it from a different angle.

The video is inconclusive. The cop shot as soon as he got out of the car because the boy went for the gun straight away.

The boy was probably scared and definitely didn't deserve to die, but the officer presumably felt he was under threat.

Tragic event and I feel for his family, but the cop should not be blamed from what I have seen.

It's a 12 year old boy with a toy gun. He was pointing it at people as he was walking up and down the street..............playing! What the hell are you supposed to do with a toy gun? Policemen have guns, they point them at people, this kid could have just been playing with the cops, he's 12! He has no idea of the actual consequences! That's why I've previously stated that the are of the suspect makes a massive difference.

The police car pulled up right next to the kid and the officer had killed the boy before he even got out of the car. Maybe the cop didn't see the toy until he got up close and panicked, leading him to pull the trigger?!? The point is, he shouldn't have put himself in that position in the first place.

Why didn't they pull the car up over the road, get out and take cover before shouting instructions to the boy?

No, not killing someone at all (although it was in this instance). Just ending the threat, hopefully (and 99 times out of 100) by pacification.

The problem with unspecific language is that it allows for a multitude of sins.

You 'defuse' a threat peacefully; you 'shoot'or 'kill' a suspect violently. Perhaps the policeman who killed the boy wasn't sure what 'closing down' meant.

Edited by aliceBB

It's a 12 year old boy with a toy gun.

IT's not a toy gun. It's a replica firearm - it looks just like the real thing. That's the problem.

If it had been painted bright blue or orange, like toy guns are, the police would have walked up told him to stop being a fool and that would have been the end of it.

The problem with unspecific language is that it allows for a multitude of sins.

You 'defuse' a threat peacefully; you 'shoot'or 'kill' a suspect violently. Perhaps the policeman who killed the boy wasn't sure what 'closing down' meant.

What?

I said in this instance it did result in death.

You try to defuse a threat peacefully, but when it appears that a firearm is being drawn, then the time for peaceful solution is surely at an end.

Do you genuinely feel that they should have let the kid draw the weapon?

The approach was probably wrong, they should have approached with more caution.

However, the shooter had to do what he did.

IT's not a toy gun. It's a replica firearm - it looks just like the real thing. That's the problem.

If it had been painted bright blue or orange, like toy guns are, the police would have walked up told him to stop being a fool and that would have been the end of it.

It was a toy gun. It used to have an orange/red plug in the end of it. Even I used to take that part out to make my toy guns look more realistic. Stop defending the murderer.

---------- Post added 27-11-2014 at 00:02 ----------

What?

I said in this instance it did result in death.

You try to defuse a threat peacefully, but when it appears that a firearm is being drawn, then the time for peaceful solution is surely at an end.

Do you genuinely feel that they should have let the kid draw the weapon?

The approach was probably wrong, they should have approached with more caution.

However, the shooter had to do what he did.

Have you seen the video? There was no attempt to defuse the situation peacefully. It was more or less a drive by shooting by the police!