Banking question

BT have just stolen £140 from my bank account. Ive contacted them and told them and they say they will refund it but it will take around 5 working days. I cant wait this long and my bank are being no help. Is there anything i can do to make them return my money sooner? Thanks in advance kind people :)

BT have just stolen £140 from my bank account. Ive contacted them and told them and they say they will refund it but it will take around 5 working days. I cant wait this long and my bank are being no help. Is there anything i can do to make them return my money sooner? Thanks in advance kind people :)

How did they take the money?

If it was via direct debit you are protected by the direct debit guarantee and therefore entitled to a full and immediate refund. If the processed a card payment you will have to wait.

If you can't wait that long go to wonga.

Have they taken the money today? if so then the bank can stop the payment if you do it by close of play.

Thank you for that. Ive just rung the bank and got them to stop the payment and itll bhe with me by 10 am tomorrow at the latest. Why on earth they didnt suggest this on my previous 2 calls to them about it is beyond me so a great big thanks for that :)

---------- Post added 25-11-2014 at 15:15 ----------

If it was via direct debit you are protected by the direct debit guarantee and therefore entitled to a full and immediate refund. If the processed a card payment you will have to wait.

All sorted now. It was a direct debit and they should have taken £40. I do just want to say although im greatful for you trying to help id never use a company like wonga. Never ever.

:)

Edited by Member

Thank you for that. Ive just rung the bank and got them to stop the payment and itll bhe with me by 10 am tomorrow at the latest. Why on earth they didnt suggest this on my previous 2 calls to them about it is beyond me so a great big thanks for that :)

It's quite alright - we'll go halves on the £140!!!! :D

You shouldn't encourage people to use short term money lending companies! They should all be banned.

---------- Post added 25-11-2014 at 15:25 ----------

Then youre in luck, it was actually £240 but i obviously cant type very well so youre 50 quid better off than you thought :hihi:

Whoooop Whooop:banana:

I had a (sort of) similar thing with Tesco recently.

They charged me twice for my grocery delivery, so I phoned and informed them. I was told it would take 5 days to process the refund which I disagreed with, but was told that this was how long refunds took.

At which point I pointed out that if I rejected an item of shopping from their delivery, they were able to process the refund immediately and the money would be in my account the next day. They had no answer to that, and would you believe it my refund on the duplicate delivery was in my account the next day.

It's not usually about what they can and can't do, it's about what they'll commit to doing. It's usually just company policy rather than actual banking rules, and i usually can be changed.