Is anyone else getting 'charity / donation' fatigue?

I blame Bob Geldof....lol

I always donate my time to charities that I support rather than money.

That's odd...Bob Geldof reckons that too!....

..........But yes...that's very worthwhile (you donating your time that is)

---------- Post added 27-11-2014 at 15:05 ----------

Charity surely should begin with the most needy, not what borders you just happened to born in, shouldn't it?

For example if a couple of quid could save a life in one country, but not really have any sort of comparable impact upon someones life here in this country. Where should that couple of quid be spent?

---------- Post added 27-11-2014 at 12:38 ----------

I hate it too, I never donate to a chugger or a churgular and I tell them so. If they make a good case I'll go onto their website and take it from there.

I'm not sure that's a valid argument. If that were the case, we'd never provide anything for 'local' charities or anyone home grown. That's not right surely?

I always donate my time to charities that I support rather than money.
I do both.

Cold hard cash to UNICEF, RSPCA, air ambulance, RNLI. Maybe an extra £5 or £10 a few times a year (e.g. CiN, or Comic Relief if the daughter/school are doing something or other). That's it, don't ask for more, go see my local MP and/or the ask the Gvt instead.

I've long donated my time to local public bodies to help foster and develop local businesses (8 years around Sheffield, either side of my time in Ireland...during which I was doing the same in DCU, TCD and their incubators anyway).

The marketplace currently values an hour of my time north of £250 ex-VAT. I give two days a month, staffing drop-in clinics in local public libraries and business centres. You book with them, and get 30 to 60 mins of my time absolutely free. £300 (inc.VAT) worth of professional advice, the exact same quality of advice company MDs and CEOs pay full whack for. You'd think attendees would take notes and say thanks...Do they f*** :(

Re. the thread title, I must admit to increasingly wondering how much is the Gvt actually "leaning" on the charity sector to dodge its liabilities (i.e. not fund certain issues/problems/sectors which it actually should, and which it is only too happy to 'abandon' to the charity sector)?

Edited by L00b

I do both.

~~~~~~SNIP~~~~~~~

You'd think attendees would take notes and say thanks...Do they f*** :(

That being the case....Why would you do it?.....Nooooo...Honestly, it's a genuine question. If someone didn't actually appreciate your services and worse didn't bother to even thank you, I'd be most reluctant to do it again!

---------- Post added 27-11-2014 at 15:35 ----------

I was talking in terms of urgency.

I'm still slightly confused (forgive me)...Do you mean in terms of stopping someone from dying?

That being the case....it's usually people who are VERY far away, and in reality there's no guarantee they would actually see the benefit of that money donated. But that's a whole different topic of conversation.

What seemed to frustrate me with the lady from St Johns the other night, was that she explained how they run local courses for ordinary people to learn first aid skills which theoretically could save your life mine and who knows. So I thought it was very worthy...But because they insisted on a direct debit I couldn't contribute..(or rather wouldn't)...I was happy to make a cash donation.

Edited by PeteMorris

I blame Bob Geldof....lol

You are right. That's when it all kicked off.

I would never give cash to anybody in any form because you never know where it is going. One idea I like, and I contributed to it yesterday and I will again, is the Christmas shopping trolley they have got in Sainsburys to donate gifts to children who would otherwise get nothing for Christmas. I have bought the gifts myself so it's not money going to fund some African dictators new villa or into someones swiss bank account.

I don't like people knocking on the door and asking if I've heard about "Save the children?" Yes, I have, but no I am not being guilt tripped into giving money as I am standing on my own doorstep.

I explained that I donated money to where I know there is no skimming off the top, which is an animal rescue on the island of Kefalonia.

She then said, "Don't you care about our children then?"

I then asked her if she could tell me how much her Chairman of Save the Children earns a year? To which, she shuffled off mumbling ...

---------- Post added 27-11-2014 at 16:23 ----------

P.S. My charity is getting nothing from me this year as I'm skint!

I own a village chippy, so far this month I have had 15 requests for donations for raffle prizes. We give a gift voucher for Cod & chips twice. This is worth to the holder £9. I have started saying no though. Especially in September when McMillan had there big coffee morning we got 20 requests! Where do we draw the line?

I've been in Tesco today and some charity was collecting for food banks. I donated something a while ago but then discovered that these places are now being swamped by Roma's from the EU.

I'm all for helping British people, of whatever race, but I won't be donating anything any more. I'm not feeding economic migrants like these who are all on benefits already.