Is anyone else getting 'charity / donation' fatigue?

I don't even get into conversations with them, I just say no thanks and walk off.

Unless it's a really old chap or lady! then I'm much more kinder, and if they have a penny pot I'll pop something in and have a bit of a chat.

I don't get them knocking on my door though as I have one of them stickers up saying no buying or selling at the door. Keeps the bleeders away!

But not Jehovah witnesses????

That being the case....Why would you do it?.....Nooooo...Honestly, it's a genuine question. If someone didn't actually appreciate your services and worse didn't bother to even thank you, I'd be most reluctant to do it again!
Outright altruism. Yes, really. Also called pro bono publico, in context.

I don't do it for the thanks. I very much doubt most charity volunteers do it for the thanks, either. I do it to expand the public's perception and knowledge of IP, to the public's advantage, in my own little way and, rightly or wrongly, as a way of saying thanks for making me welcome and giving the opportunities I've had since coming over here.

Some of my pro bono work is also for charities themselves. Not the large ones though. When these can afford designer HQs on the banks of the River Thames in central London, like the Salvation Army, they can afford to pay full rate.

Edited by L00b

Charity is big business, and supports the many people who work in this industry, from the people on the street to accountants and company directors. In an affluent country such as this, there shouldn't be any need for it. I give to 'Charity' by paying taxes.

And that nice Mr Cameron gives it to big business while the poor freeze and starve.

The trouble is that charities have expenses just like everything else. Rent, fuel etc. Also, the charities found out that if they paid a third party to do the collections, they got more money in. Even when you took into account the "admin charge" needed to employ the third party.

They also have CEOs on £150,000+ which is a salary too far in my opinion. (This information is all available online although you have to dig around for it.) I used to give to these charities until I found this out, but now I don't see why a large portion of my money should go to inflate this person's salary.

There are also far too many charities chasing similar things, all payng expenses, rents, admin etc. when it would make far more sense to amalgamate and reduce these expenses so more of the money can go to the cause.

Some things should not be left to charity anyway; water, for example, shouldn't have to be left to charities to provide. People don't seem to realise that some of these countries are sitting on vast resources, but the money from these goes into the hands of the few who are already rich beyond the dreams of avarice, and is never put into infrastructure, nor reaches the people who need it most. Charity in these circumstances just allows the rich and powerful, often politicians, to renege on their responsibilities.

I now give my time and money to small, responsible, local organisations who make every penny count.