So, people really are dying because of the Condems 'austerity'.

Who did the job before ATOS and why didn't they carry on doing the job?

Despite the furore, the DWP said the programme to reassess benefits for the long-term sick and disabled had been successful. Of the 841,000 people who were on incapacity benefit and had been retested by Atos under the new system, about 230,000 have been found fit for work and shifted to a new, less generous benefit. A further 346,500 were found to be likely to be fit for work at some point in the future, while more than 1m others withdrew their claims before reaching a face-to-face assessment.

The Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) is the largest employer in the Civil Service, with nearly 105,000 staff, it makes one wonder why they needed to outsource work to a private company.

Well they're not going to say it was a monumental failure are they :rant::rolleyes:

You only have to look at the freak show commonly known as Black Friday to see what we've become. Hundreds of people fighting over a cheap(er) TV set?! It like a human zoo.

If you really want to know what's most important to a society, don't look in it's art or literature, look for the biggest buildings. In medieval times, it was churches and palaces, in today's western societies, it's banks and shopping centres.

I just don't read a headline and automatically go all feigned shock horror. You're conspicuously using these mens death as a Tory kicking tool...which I find cynical.

And you're not, which is even worse and accurately describes the type of person you come across as.

---------- Post added 30-11-2014 at 18:18 ----------

taxes dont matter anymore, the government borrows hundreds of billions from the markets over fixed terms. and this is the money that supports the spending of the various government departments. all of this austerity is to cut the deficit between what they spend and what income they can raise.

the actual country's debt has surpassed the one and a half trillion pounds!!.

I dont know the maths but i the country will ever get back into surplus again.

The debt is approaching double what it was in May 2010 - £0.76tn in 2010 to what will be 1.36tn in 2015.

http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/uk_national_debt

Who did the job before ATOS and why didn't they carry on doing the job?

Despite the furore, the DWP said the programme to reassess benefits for the long-term sick and disabled had been successful. Of the 841,000 people who were on incapacity benefit and had been retested by Atos under the new system, about 230,000 have been found fit for work and shifted to a new, less generous benefit. A further 346,500 were found to be likely to be fit for work at some point in the future, while more than 1m others withdrew their claims before reaching a face-to-face assessment.

The Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) is the largest employer in the Civil Service, with nearly 105,000 staff, it makes one wonder why they needed to outsource work to a private company.

And if ATOS was so successful why did they judge 158,300 benefit claimants were capable of holding down a job - only for the Department of Work and Pensions to reverse the decision?

And if ATOS was so successful why did they judge 158,300 benefit claimants were capable of holding down a job - only for the Department of Work and Pensions to reverse the decision?

Atos were probably on piece work to remove as many as possible from the register. OK, the probably weren't on piece work but that must have been their directive, otherwise why bring them in?

‘The test of a good society is you look after the elderly, the frail, the vulnerable, the poorest in our society. And that test is even more important in difficult times, when difficult decisions have to be taken, than it is in better times'

David Cameron (May 2010)

---------- Post added 30-11-2014 at 11:16 ----------

I agree with this - I think it was Yvette Cooper who brought the discredited ATOS in to do Work Capability Assessments at a huge cost to the taxpayer.

It's worth pointing out that come a labour landslide in 2015 (!)they won't be reversing any austerity measures - both milliband and balls have said as much - Who you vote for to make that happen I don't know.