Going out - crossover age

The demise of Working peoples clubs[mens;)] along with the price of a pint has a lot to do with it .

Add to that the go out side and freeze to death if you want a fag rule and there you have it.

I don't think there's ever been a working mens club in the town centre, or that anyone talking about going out on a Friday night to town ever went to one.

Apart from family functions, I don't think I've gone into a working mens club.

And only 40% of people smoke, so that godsend of a rule hasn't stopped or even put off 60% of people. (It makes it more likely that I'll go out in fact).

I don't think there's ever been a working mens club in the town centre, or that anyone talking about going out on a Friday night to town ever went to one.

Apart from family functions, I don't think I've gone into a working mens club.

And only 40% of people smoke, so that godsend of a rule hasn't stopped or even put off 60% of people. (It makes it more likely that I'll go out in fact).

The working mens clubs in the Town centre that I remember.[or near enough] are ,The post mans club which was just below the Adelphi pub.

Saint Phillips on St Phillips Road [near enough] .

The Trades and Labour club in the Wicker.

All fairly near to the town centre as is the new Market;)

And only 40% of people smoke....

It's actually half that rate, compared to 82% in 1948. No wonder they founded the NHS then.

http://ash.org.uk/files/documents/ASH_106.pdf

---------- Post added 02-12-2014 at 09:18 ----------

Add to that the go out side and freeze to death if you want a fag rule and there you have it.

The smoking ban was one of the few good things Blair did. If you want to freeze to death then do but I don't want your cancer.

The working mens clubs in the Town centre that I remember.[or near enough] are ,The post mans club which was just below the Adelphi pub.

Saint Phillips on St Phillips Road [near enough] .

The Trades and Labour club in the Wicker.

All fairly near to the town centre as is the new Market;)

Fair enough.

Can't say that I even knew about them, never mind considered going to them. So their closure would make no different to my going out at all. (Or to anyone that I know).

---------- Post added 02-12-2014 at 09:58 ----------

It's actually half that rate, compared to 82% in 1948. No wonder they founded the NHS then.

http://ash.org.uk/files/documents/ASH_106.pdf

I wonder where I'd heard the higher percentage then... Only 20% of adults smoke. Yet some people still persist in blaming the "no smoking indoors" on causing pub closures.

Edit - good news anyway.

Edited by Cyclone

I can't speak for myself, but my nephew, who had a group of close friends who were regular party animals; once they started marrying and having children the going out stopped. Could it be maturity and having responsibilities that has some effect?

I can't speak for myself, but my nephew, who had a group of close friends who were regular party animals; once they started marrying and having children the going out stopped. Could it be maturity and having responsibilities that has some effect?

It could be having less time and responsibility yes. I'd hesitate to categorise that as maturity, because that would imply that not having children was immature, which it isn't, it's just a different choice.