Beery events around Sheffield

Andy C

On the Edge presents 9 Pin

Fri 27 Mar

On the Edge Nano-Brewery have brewed a selection of 9 beers, there will be a pin size cask of each, available while they last at the Old Junior School, South View Road, Sharrow, from 6pm to 10pm.

Steel City Beer Awards

Fri 27 Mar

Celebrating the beers that won awards at CAMRA's Steel City Beer Festival last October, many of the award winning brewers will be taking some of their beer out to Thornbridge Hall's carriage House, tickets are £20 including coach travel from Sheffield, a seat at the award presentation, all the beer you drink at the venue and a buffet supper.

Stancill Brewery's birthday party

Fri 27 Mar

Beer, live music and food at this party in a brewery! 7pm til late.

Brothers Arms

Fri 27 – Sun 29 Mar

The Brothers Arms at Heeley is holding their first beer festival, featuring 60+ real ales from mainly local breweries, live music and street food. Entry is free.

There are plenty of buses there – 20/20A/25/25A/43/43A/44/53/X17 to Heeley Bridge by Ponsfords or buses 47/48/252 to Heeley Green.

A Firkin Beer Festival

Thu 2 - Sun 5 Apr

At Picture House Social

Hope Valley Easter Beer Festival

Thu 2 – Mon 6 Apr

The theme for the Easter festival is ‘Rhythm and Booze’ and features around 50 real ales, cider, live music, BBQ and hog roast. The festival is held at the Old Hall Inn located at Hope Village, this year there will also be fringe events in Castleton centred on the Peak Hotel (which is now operated by the same landlord as the Old Hall Inn). There is no entry charge to this festival, held in the pub’s outdoor drinking area.

Bus 272 runs direct from Sheffield to Hope and Castleton every hour, additional journeys available via route 273/274. Alternatively The Old Hall is about a 10 minute walk from Hope railway station (Sheffield-Manchester line).

Old No7 bar, Barnsley

Thu 2 – Mon 6 Apr

The Old No7 bar is Acorn Brewery’s Tap and their beer festival sees around 20 guest real ales, craft keg beers and a selection of Cider & Perry.

Doncaster CAMRA’s 25th beer festival

Thu 9 – Sat 11 Apr

Held at the Doncaster College Hub building, the event features over 100 real ales plus a good selection of foreign beers, ciders and perry. Food available, entertainment Friday and Saturday evenings. Free entry for CAMRA members.

Frequent trains run from Sheffield to Doncaster as does the X78 First bus, the venue is a short walk from Doncaster Interchange (leave door by bus stand 11 and follow path under bridge then via Tesco and the canalside).

http://www.doncasterbeerfestival.co.uk

Mallard St George’s beer festival

Thu 23 – Sun 26 Apr

The Mallard pub at Worksop railway station present one of their regular beer festivals with a cellar bar opened up serving an additional range of real ales and cider. Worksop is a half hour train ride from Sheffield with Northern Rail, trains at least every hour.

Philadelphia Blues

Fri 1 – Sat 2 May

The annual festival brought to you by Sax Bob that features blues music accompanied by real ale. The venue is CADS (Cultural Arts Development Space) on Snow Lane in Shalesmoor, located a couple of minutes walk from Shakespeare’s and the Kelham Island Tavern or 5 minutes walk from Shalesmoor tram stop.

Set in the industrial quarter of Sheffield The Philadelphia Beer and Blues Festival offers locally sourced real ales named on a blues theme plus ciders,wine, cans,bbq,vegetarian food,artwork and cards. Showcasing some of the most exciting Blues Bands around, the Great Hall is a cavernous industrial space complete with stage,mammoth sound system and professional stage lighting. The Philadelphia name is taken from the Old Philadelphia area of Sheffield which is adjacent. The Festival will open at 3pm daily £6 admission and in addition to bands and times on the poster,there will be semi acoustic blues from 3:30 pm. Last orders will be midnight.

There will also be live music in a number of the real ale pubs nearby around Kelham Island, Neepsend and Hillsborough on the weekend and passouts will be available from the main venue at CADS for those wanting to also do the pubs.

Elsecar steam railway (Barnsley CAMRA)

Fri 1 – Mon 4 May

A beer tent full of real ale and cider in the yard of the railway station at Elsecar heritage Centre. Food, music and a tombola also features. Trains will run at their normal times and tickets are sold in the normal way if you want to combine beer and trains.

Hill Top Sports & Social Club

Fri 1 – Sun 3 May

Dronfield CAMRA’s Club of the Year hosts its annual beer festival, open to the general public, Featuring an expanded range of real ales, all on handpump. Each day there is a different theme of entertainment. Friday the festival opens at 3pm with live music in the evening, Saturday open all day from midday with a family disco from 5pm and on Sunday again a midday opening with a quiz and bingo in the evening.

The club is on Longacre Road in Dronfield Hill Top, buses 43/43A stop nearby.

University of Sheffield Student Union Beer & Cider Festival

Fri 1 – Sun 3 May

80+ real ales, ciders, German beer and Gin! Open to the public and free entry to all. German theme Friday night, Sheffield theme Saturday and Sunday is Pig & Cider day.

Lees Hall Golf Club

Sat 2 – Sun 3 May

Lees Hall Golf Club’s annual beer festival is back with free admission and entertainment.

Barrow Hill Rail Ale Festival

Thu 14 – Sat 16 May

This popular event gets bigger every year, held at the Barrow Hill Railway roundhouse – the last working roundhouse in the country. The festival boasts a choice of over 250 real ales plus a selection of cider, perry, fruit wines, craft keg beers and foreign bottled beers. There is also a varied choice of food stalls and other traders, the opportunity to view the collection of classic locomotives stored at the Roundhouse with train rides available during the afternoon included in the ticket price and live music Friday and Saturday evening.

Entry tickets are £8.50 on the gate or £6.50 in advance (£5 for the Thursday evening session), CAMRA members get their first beer included (sign in at the membership stand on arrival).

A shuttle bus operates hourly from Chesterfield railway station (half hourly at busy times). There is no fare payable but passengers are encouraged to donate to the bus maintenance fund (they are operated by volunteers who own and restore the buses themselves).

Frequent and fast trains run from Sheffield to Chesterfield throughout the day and evening, as do Stagecoach buses 43,44,50,50A and X17.

Three Valleys Festival

Sat 6 Jun

A massive choice of real ales plus cider, entertainment and food – plus normal pub attractions – spread across 18 different venues with a free bus linking them and railway stations at Dronfield and Dore every half hour from midday until 11pm.

So catch the train to Dronfield, join the bus at the station and hop on and off trying the different beers, foods, entertainment and atmosphere each venue offers!

Edited by Andy C

Cheers for the updates Andy. Going to the Thornbridge thing on Friday and gonna make my first sortie out to the Brothers on Saturday before going away for Easter and missing out on a few local events. Might be back in time for Donny on 11th April tho.

Mayday weekend looks a busy one with Elsecar festival going on as well as the University of Sheffield festival. Where exactly is this being held if you don't mind me asking?

Oh... and I notice you stopped a week short of mentioning Magna. Is there still some doubt about this do you know?

Cheers for the updates Andy. Going to the Thornbridge thing on Friday and gonna make my first sortie out to the Brothers on Saturday before going away for Easter and missing out on a few local events. Might be back in time for Donny on 11th April tho.

Mayday weekend looks a busy one with Elsecar festival going on as well as the University of Sheffield festival. Where exactly is this being held if you don't mind me asking?

Oh... and I notice you stopped a week short of mentioning Magna. Is there still some doubt about this do you know?

No problem re Magna as far as I am aware, in fact I received a staffing form only a few days ago. I've only really looked up events to mid-May for this post but wanted to include a plug for 3 Valleys too.

The University of Sheffield Student Union festival is now a well established and popular annual event spread across Interval Cafe Bar, Union Gardens and Raynor Lounge. There is an advert in the April issue of Beer Matters which is currently available to download from http://www.sheffieldcamra.org.uk.

Incidentally the beer range at the Brothers Arms is looking more interesting than initially thought, they've just posted a picture of pump clips on Facebook! Likewise the list for the Easter Firkin Festival at Picture House Social is looking good too.

No problem re Magna as far as I am aware, in fact I received a staffing form only a few days ago. I've only really looked up events to mid-May for this post but wanted to include a plug for 3 Valleys too.

The University of Sheffield Student Union festival is now a well established and popular annual event spread across Interval Cafe Bar, Union Gardens and Raynor Lounge. There is an advert in the April issue of Beer Matters which is currently available to download from http://www.sheffieldcamra.org.uk.

Incidentally the beer range at the Brothers Arms is looking more interesting than initially thought, they've just posted a picture of pump clips on Facebook! Likewise the list for the Easter Firkin Festival at Picture House Social is looking good too.

Cheers mate.

Haven't seen the list for the Brothers but wanted to get out there eventually anyway. If it wasn't much good I'd planned to just saunter up to the Broadfield after. Talking of which I have seen the list for the Picture House Social and looks very impressive - but sadly I'll be away for that and miss my home town festival at the Old No 7 too. Will have to make up for it by visiting the Elsecar festival on the Friday and Sunday of the May Day weekend, and the Student union festival followed by the Philidelphia Blues thing on the Saturday.

My poor liver...

there's no list for Brothers that I can paste sadly, there is a photo of (some of!) the pumpclips knocking about, on their Farcebook page among others...

not sure if I can post a picture here... some decent beers though!

Cheers. However, I don't do Facebook as I'm not a 14yr old girl... ;c)

Cheers. However, I don't do Facebook as I'm not a 14yr old girl... ;c)

cos beer lists are for 14 year old girls? ;)

---------- Post added 25-03-2015 at 11:00 ----------

BTW Sheffield's best brewery is not represented, but there might be one down the hill in t'Sheaf ;)

cos beer lists are for 14 year old girls? ;)

---------- Post added 25-03-2015 at 11:00 ----------

BTW Sheffield's best brewery is not represented, but there might be one down the hill in t'Sheaf ;)

LOL. No. But Facebook largely is. :c)

Yeah, the Bros Arms stuff looks good. Wild & Anarchy amongst others. The Steel City brew was on in Sheaf last night.

---------- Post added 26-03-2015 at 11:13 ----------

I`m hoping there`s still some Siren stuff knocking around the Ruttie as I should be there tonight for the Beer Central bottle share. :)

And hopefully visit the On the Edge event and Bros Arms tomorrow! :):)

I`m hoping there`s still some Siren stuff knocking around the Ruttie as I should be there tonight for the Beer Central bottle share. :)

And hopefully visit the On the Edge event and Bros Arms tomorrow! :):)

Snap!

Forgot about On The Edge, gonna have to work out my plan. Really wanna do OTE first and then Brothers as it's only a 5 minute walk home, but opening times dictate otherwise!

edit - actually it does work, checked and OTE starts at 6, for some reason I thought 7...