Nice work for some

It is rather excessive, but it is common practice for high functioning bureaucrats everywhere. Including here in the UK where MPs walk away with half to all of a years remuneration when they get voted out of parliament.

I think Van Rompuy should come out and state he is not claiming at least half of it, but then I think he has been a rather poor president anyway.

It is rather excessive, but it is common practice for high functioning bureaucrats everywhere. Including here in the UK where MPs walk away with half to all of a years remuneration when they get voted out of parliament.

I think Van Rompuy should come out and state he is not claiming at least half of it, but then I think he has been a rather poor president anyway.

It may be a common practice but does it make it right?

In some cases, yes. Let's detach ourselves from 'average' for a second. (And take Mr. Van Rompuy out of the discussion as this is one of the few things I agree with Farage on: He has the charisma of a wet blanket and was a panic appointment).

Would Apple have been where it is now without Steve Jobs? Microsoft without Bill Gates?

Sometimes you have to reward talent appropriately and part of that reward is a pre-agreed settlement upon the end of the contract if certain conditions are met.

It is no good pointing at that settlement when it comes into effect and say: "Nice for some". It is just the way it is. I'd rather see people with genuine responsibility earn large amounts of money than a bunch of footballers who will only go and waste the money on Ferrari's and hideous 'neo-classical villas' in Cheshire.

In some cases, yes. Let's detach ourselves from 'average' for a second. (And take Mr. Van Rompuy out of the discussion as this is one of the few things I agree with Farage on: He has the charisma of a wet blanket and was a panic appointment).

Would Apple have been where it is now without Steve Jobs? Microsoft without Bill Gates?

Sometimes you have to reward talent appropriately and part of that reward is a pre-agreed settlement upon the end of the contract if certain conditions are met.

It is no good pointing at that settlement when it comes into effect and say: "Nice for some". It is just the way it is. I'd rather see people with genuine responsibility earn large amounts of money than a bunch of footballers who will only go and waste the money on Ferrari's and hideous 'neo-classical villas' in Cheshire.

You're pointing out people in private companies and comparing them to politicians who are paid via our taxes....totally different scenarios...whoever was in Rompuy's position would get the payout whether they were successful or not..I have no choice but to contribute to Rompuy and his mates ..

You're pointing out people in private companies and comparing them to politicians who are paid via our taxes....totally different scenarios...whoever was in Rompuy's position would get the payout whether they were successful or not..I have no choice but to contribute to Rompuy and his mates ..

You might be happy with mediocre politicians (roughly just above the level we get in this country) but I am not. I demand more from my politicians and I don't mind if we spend money to do that.

You might be happy with mediocre politicians (roughly just above the level we get in this country) but I am not. I demand more from my politicians and I don't mind if we spend money to do that.

We spent the money yet we still got Rompuy? That worked well then.. :)

One prominent Sheffield M.P. got over £100,000 resettlement fee when he retired from Parliament even though he had lived in the same house for forty years, this on top of all the other freebies and payments that these spongers take for granted while pretending to be fighting for the working man and woman.

We spent the money yet we still got Rompuy? That worked well then.. :)

As I stated, Van Rompuy was a dreadful appointment, but appointed he got and these were the conditions. I'd rather see you upset about the fact that Van Rompuy got the post than the fact that he is claiming what he was contractually entitled to.

Donald Tusk will be far better, although of course with the mute-button that British media apply to European affairs (unless there is something to moan about of course) it is unlikely to filter through here.