Artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race

Something that no one has asked is what is the point of AI without humans?

At the moment we use them as a tool, they serve us. But who would they serve if humans were taken out of the equation? What would their reason for being here? What would drive them on?

Would they have a sense of purpose? Emotions? Needs? Curiosity? And if so, what about the darker side of the emotional spectrum that goes along with it - jelousy, greed, power etc.

A.I. Is not as it may first appear. Example. You code a BOT for this forum. Everyone logging onto the forum has their name added to the BOT database. The BOT then welcomes each user with a personal welcome. The BOT will then ask you a question from its database. Example: Hi bambam how are you today? Whatever the answer bambam gives will be added to the database for bambam. Each day may have a different answer to the same question all will be added to the database. The BOT knows from the database how to reply to each response. Example Hi how are you today bambam. Answer: I’m ok: BOT Answer: glad to hear it am ok too. BOT question: Bambam what are you having for dinner tonight? The answer bambam gives will be added to the database.

After time with many questions being asked and answers added to the database it looks like this:

Hi bambam, how are you today, Its Sunday did you have your roast beef with beans lol, I shared your joke with another user about the woodsman and they thought it was funny.

The BOTS I coded years ago had that ability, and to be honest it is no different now. Call it A.I. BOT whatever, the thing is they are only as smart as the person programming it. They only learn from a database of information inputted from a user. It can look and sound impressive but its not really. Its like a magic trick that looks cool until you know how they did it, its disappointedly low-tech and simplistic. A.I. Will never take over the world.

A Japanese company has an AI program on its board of directors and it has an equal vote to the other directors.

Almost!

A Hong Kong based venture capital company uses a programme to assess the viability of potential investments.

When the Board decides whether to invest or not, they attribute the prediction from that program with the same value as a vote on the Board.

............. when they choose to.

That's all.

A.I. Is not as it may first appear. Example. You code a BOT for this forum. Everyone logging onto the forum has their name added to the BOT database. The BOT then welcomes each user with a personal welcome. The BOT will then ask you a question from its database. Example: Hi bambam how are you today? Whatever the answer bambam gives will be added to the database for bambam. Each day may have a different answer to the same question all will be added to the database. The BOT knows from the database how to reply to each response. Example Hi how are you today bambam. Answer: I’m ok: BOT Answer: glad to hear it am ok too. BOT question: Bambam what are you having for dinner tonight? The answer bambam gives will be added to the database.

After time with many questions being asked and answers added to the database it looks like this:

Hi bambam, how are you today, Its Sunday did you have your roast beef with beans lol, I shared your joke with another user about the woodsman and they thought it was funny.

The BOTS I coded years ago had that ability, and to be honest it is no different now. Call it A.I. BOT whatever, the thing is they are only as smart as the person programming it. They only learn from a database of information inputted from a user. It can look and sound impressive but its not really. Its like a magic trick that looks cool until you know how they did it, its disappointedly low-tech and simplistic. A.I. Will never take over the world.

You're talking about (one form of) current AI though.

At the moment we use them as a tool, they serve us. But who would they serve if humans were taken out of the equation? What would their reason for being here? What would drive them on?

Would they have a sense of purpose? Emotions? Needs? Curiosity? And if so, what about the darker side of the emotional spectrum that goes along with it - jelousy, greed, power etc.

What's the point of humans without someone telling them what to do?

Whatever answer you come up with could apply to machine intelligence equally well.

---------- Post added 06-12-2014 at 09:23 ----------

That isn't even an attempt at AI.

A computer might one day decide that the world be a better place if humans were not destroying it, it could choose to destroy us and spend the rest of time protecting the world from all other potencial threats.

Exactly. Your last sentence says it all.