Engine management warning light help please

I travel down the M1 daily...Ok, only 11 miles, but I do it twice a day....So I would have thought that it was far enough to warm things up a little. Especially as that 11 miles can sometimes take an hour!!!...(No I don't drive at a snails pace, but traffic does on occasions)....But once back on the motorway in the evening traffic flow is usually pretty quick.

That's probably enough time - my father generally was only driving a couple of miles.... in the end he went and got a Prius plugin as the short journeys were not good for any petrol engine.

Pete my father with his 53 plate Avenesis had exactly the same issue after swapping the cat. Like many pensioners he only does quite short journeys and the dealer advised him this was a known problem - the cat doesnt warm up and never starts working and so the EMU assumes it's faulty.<<<<<<SNIP

That's probably enough time - my father generally was only driving a couple of miles.... in the end he went and got a Prius plugin as the short journeys were not good for any petrol engine.

hahaha...I just had a chuckle to myself....I have an odd feeling I've been 'insulted'....I'm not quite a pensioner yet!....Actually, the rate they keep moving the goalposts, I probably never will be!....:hihi:

Hello....I need some advice please.

I've got a Toyota Avensis on a 52 plate. I was driving along the other day and the (I presume) engine management light came on. It's on all the time now, not flickering or going off and on. It's just constantly on.

I'm presuming as you would, that it's indicating that something is amiss in regard to the engine. But the car drives perfectly, doesn't overheat, no loss of power, acceleration is fine, it starts first turn of the key, as it always has done. Nothing appears to be not working or misbehaving.

I recently (couple of weeks ago) had the front end of the exhaust renewed (at considerable cost), and have no idea if that could possibly be connected.

So at the moment, I'm still driving it about with the light glaring at me.

I've googled it, and there's various stories ranging from "My car has had the light on for six months, and it's fine"....To "It's the oxygen sensor and there's four of them, and they charge £200 a pop for them".....and various 'helpful advice' in between.

Any clues?

It could be something as simple as a glow plug that is on its way out.