How economical are fan heaters?

How economical are fan heaters? I've been told that they are the most economical and I've also been told that they are the least. I've looked online but found it difficult to get an answer - too much technical jargon for me. I'm looking to heat a one bedroom flat, the current electrical heating system is rubbish. It's a rented property so I'm not going to spend money replacing it.

Any electrical heater rated say at 2 kilowatt will cost the same, per hour, as any other type of electrical heater rated the same. Fan heaters need to be switched on and off more often as the tend to overheat the room quicker than the others. For a small room An oil or convector heater is probably the best and safest although the halogen heaters are nice if there's no kids about. For a bedroom you could use a fan heater switched through a timer socket timed around going to bed/getting up.

Try to establish (if there is a roof space above your room) that the insulation is good.

All sorts of grants and tax breaks are available to your landlord, to get the most efficient. The bet way to heat a room/house, is to make sure the heat stays in, insulation. Electric blankets are really good to make your bed warm.

Find out how much you per KW of electricity.....should tell you on your bill.

If you pay 12p per KW then a 2 KW heater will cost you 24p per hour to run.

On a 1 KW heater it will cost 12p per hour.

Whatever the KW of the heater times it by the amount you pay per KW of electricity and that will tell you how much it will cost to use.

Hope that helps:)