How old were you when you moved out

At 17 to go on a gap year, then a few weeks at home, then off to university. I liked going home in the holidays, but all my siblings were older and had already moved out, so it felt strange. Got married the day after my degree ceremony, and celebrated my 21st with a mortgage and a full time job...it was much easier in the early 80s than now.

I think we are going to have to help out at least one of our three children. However hard he works in his chosen profession he will never be able to afford a deposit on a house, even if he could afford the mortgage. The only alternative is for him to live in bedsits/student-type HMOs for ever.

18. The Christmas before my mum bought me pots, pans etc for presents ready to go!

Moved into a shared house with friends, in a dreadful area but it was cheap (£200 a month all in) and walkable into town. Didn't even have to work full time to support myself, only did between 2 and 4 days a week at first. Fun times!

Things changed quickly though, moved cities, got a proper job and was settled down and bought first house with my other half at 22 :hihi:

I agree with you. Happ Hazzard, (the poster who claimed that people are 'saddoes' if they don't move out at 25), often spouts opinions that are personal, reactionary and uncalled for. That was one of them.

Name calling isn't required I agree but by the same token 25 is fairly old to be still living with the folks in my opinion.

I Read a story on the web before about an Italian couple taking legal action to evict their 41 year old son ! Apparently, a common problem in Italy

But what about in the UK?So – how old were you when you fled the parental nest, or are you still there at home at age 40 getting your mum to do your ironing, cooking, cleaning etc ( shame, shame on you :hihi:

(I left when I was 19 to go overseas and work)

18 I suppose when I went to uni. Although I was back for a while afterward (and obviously all the holidays).

Permanently about 9 months after leaving uni. Although for that 9 months I was working away during the week anyway, so only around at the weekends.

---------- Post added 08-12-2014 at 12:19 ----------

19. People who stay at home beyond about 25 are saddoes IMO. Not counting people looking after disabled parents and the like of course.

Should have started that "I don't like to be judgemental but"

---------- Post added 08-12-2014 at 12:25 ----------

Name calling isn't required I agree but by the same token 25 is fairly old to be still living with the folks in my opinion.

It's really quite common these days. And I can understand why given the price of houses and even of renting.