It will soon be 75 yers since the Sheffield Blitz part 2

westmoors

I've recounted this tale before, but one of my dad's favourite stories was that he was making his way to Woodside Lane from the old steel firm of Jessop's, at the bottom of Brightside Lane. They'd shut down early because of the raid and after calling in at Fox St to see how the rest of the family was doing, had got as far as Grey St near Pye Bank School. There, in the middle of the road was an unexploded land mine. He always said he'd never moved as quick before or since. So it was up Gray St and over the rec'. The following morning, in daylight he retraced his steps. Houses were burnt out at the top of the hill with one wrecked from a bomb which had landed behind on the old gardens, and a lot of incendiary damage with fires all over the area. The big mine was still there, sitting. It was a garden roller.

A son always puts a card and flowers at Marples every year to commemorate his Mother who was killed there in the Blitz. its there at this moment, it would be nice if someone else added a few flowers in remembrance of the unfortunate people who lost their lives there. Ill be putting some there on Monday. Come on a couple of quid for a few flowers wont hurt you.

I was one year old sleeping in my cot when an incendiary bomb hit our house on Montgomery Terrace Road. My mother doused the flames before it took hold of some washing hanging on a clothes line nearby.

For years afterwards we kept the metal bomb casing as a souvenir