We're all going to die..

A long time ago I had a problem with the concept of no longer existing. Existence is all we have, it is our total experience of the world.

To cease to exist is difficult to accept, and in my opinion is the reason for the prevalence of religions throughout the world.

We are here, we are experiencing the world, and we cannot accept it all going away.

The thing is, is that before we were born we had no problem with accepting that stuff happened that we had no part of.

We simply have trouble accepting that after we die stuff will continue to happen which we will have no part in or knowledge of.

It seems to me that whether or not there is a 'God' or 'Creator' there is no real reason why an afterlife should exist.

In what way would we be able to communicate in any meaningful way with an intelligence possessed by a being such as God?

If we simply cease to exist what's the problem?

Before we were born we didn't exist, did it cause us a problem?

No it didn't, because being completely unaware of anything is not a problem.

In the words of the philosopher Doris Day,Che Sera Sera, whatever will be will be.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&sqi=2&ved=0CDAQtwIwAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DazxoVRTwlNg&ei=Xd2IVNPuF8KS7AaYi4HoBQ&usg=AFQjCNG5wHWX-T2wJuKKFpadqL1I4yJGVg&bvm=bv.81456516,d.ZGU&cad=rja

I can't even get my head round the fact that we live on a tiny ball whizzing around in infinite (to all intents and purposes) space. Death by comparison is quite easy to grasp. It's become more real as I've got older ... around the time you find yourself going to more funerals than weddings. There comes a time when you fully realise it could happen to you any day. But the idea of not dying, of your consciousness carrying on for ever, is a total nightmare.