Fee to sign a VDRS?

V.Rossi

Oh right so now I'm lacking standards, discipline and treat safety as a joke? Or is it at all possible that both bulbs blew within a very short time of one another (Being that they were both purchased as a set of 2, manufactured in the same way with no doubt the same materials and fitted at the same time), I do check my lights from time to time, as do I most parts of my car,can't say I follow the general SF user standard of giving everything the once over every 5 mins, but given that I only passed an MOT just over 4 weeks ago then you might assume that both were working??

I actually that very same day overhauled both front brakes and my rear pads, but I guess I should have just left them really until they failed and I smashed into something/someone, you know what with my lapse attitude towards safety.

---------- Post added 09-12-2014 at 21:39 ----------

No, I'm not saying that at all (but that's what the HC still says, mystifyingly).

I clearly copied and pasted the whole of the section in spite of the fact that much of its content was not particularly relevant to the thread. (By all means, hang me out to dry on that score.)

Strange, given that I was followed and stopped on roads that were lit with street lighting, maybe I should just toss the VDRS in the bin then and wait to be summoned, argue it on that case?

When its something as obvious as a light working or not you shouldn't be needing the expertise of an mot station to say yep thats on. Surely any policeman could do that at a police station free of charge. Unless of course there may be a worry that its a lumen short of the correct value or slightly the wrong shade of red.

I miss the old days, the bobby would put his hands around the light and say "is it on". As old blaster said "wait till that bit of wire warms up i'll blind the (beep)"

Oh right so now I'm lacking standards, discipline and treat safety as a joke? Or is it at all possible that both bulbs blew within a very short time of one another (Being that they were both purchased as a set of 2, manufactured in the same way with no doubt the same materials and fitted at the same time), I do check my lights from time to time, as do I most parts of my car,can't say I follow the general SF user standard of giving everything the once over every 5 mins, but given that I only passed an MOT just over 4 weeks ago then you might assume that both were working??

I actually that very same day overhauled both front brakes and my rear pads, but I guess I should have just left them really until they failed and I smashed into something/someone, you know what with my lapse attitude towards safety.

---------- Post added 09-12-2014 at 21:39 ----------

Strange, given that I was followed and stopped on roads that were lit with street lighting, maybe I should just toss the VDRS in the bin then and wait to be summoned, argue it on that case?

Street lighting = suggested side lights only (barmy, but there you go).

No exemption given for tail lights not working, street lights or not.

---------- Post added 09-12-2014 at 23:18 ----------

When its something as obvious as a light working or not you shouldn't be needing the expertise of an mot station to say yep thats on. Surely any policeman could do that at a police station free of charge. Unless of course there may be a worry that its a lumen short of the correct value or slightly the wrong shade of red.

I miss the old days, the bobby would put his hands around the light and say "is it on". As old blaster said "wait till that bit of wire warms up i'll blind the (beep)"

The Police are trying to get rid of jobs, paperwork etc.

So dishing out a VDRS with the instruction to present the rectified vehicle at a selected (partner) venue having agreed with that third party

- what their responsibility is,

- what to do with the paperwork ('cos a no-show in the allotted timeframe = prosecution, presumably) and

- the nominal sum they will get paid for this service.

I miss the old days, too, but they've gone and won't return.

---------- Post added 09-12-2014 at 23:23 ----------

Id hardly call a blown bulb a "serious defect" :roll:

Two blown tail lights = invisibilty cloak?

Edited by DT Ralge

The Police are trying to get rid of jobs, paperwork etc.

So dishing out a VDRS with the instruction to present the rectified vehicle at a selected (partner) venue having agreed with that third party

- what their responsibility is,

- what to do with the paperwork ('cos a no-show in the allotted timeframe = prosecution, presumably) and

- the nominal sum they will get paid for this service.

I miss the old days, too, but they've gone and won't return.

So you missed the bit where I said that the paperwork needed to be completed by a copper for a VDRS is the same as needs to be done for a ticket as you rightly say, someone needs to follow up if the work isn't down etc? Also, you can go to ANY garage who carry out MOTs to get the check done, as you are driving a car that would fail it's MOT. Remember that your car needs to be in the standard to pass an MOT whenever it's on the road and not just the once yearly check. The police set no fees to this, it's the garages that decide to charge and then decide to blame the police to avoid awkward questions for customers.

Simply saying, oh why don't the police just tell you the light is out and let you go, is also a bit daft as without a record of who you spoke to about what how will you know if the driver actually does anything about it? It could take him until his next MOT to fix the light. The VDRS is simply a compromise for both sides. You get the annoyance of paying a garage a tenner but equally you avoided a fine.