Why are bus & taxi fares still same given oil prices ?

I am pretty sure the bus fares went up with First Mainline stating that it was due to high fuel costs so given the price of oil today how come the fares are still the same ?

I am sure they will have some kind of tax concessions and even if not a few pence even off the fuel price will be significant given how much they use, so when are us passengers going to benefit ?

There's a good case for bus fares to be heavily subsidised again; those that were traditionally against it - the middle England, high tax payers would probably now welcome the fewer cars on the roads as more and more people get back on public transport.

Edited by Hot As Sun

I am pretty sure the bus fares went up with First Mainline stating that it was due to high fuel costs so given the price of oil today how come the fares are still the same ?

I am sure they will have some kind of tax concessions and even if not a few pence even off the fuel price will be significant given how much they use, so when are us passengers going to benefit ?

Who? :hihi::hihi:

Bus companies fix their fuel prices in advance so it will not affect this years prices budgeted for in advance.

That argument means that they lied about the price increases affecting them then.

---------- Post added 09-12-2014 at 15:41 ----------

How do you know that they did?

Errr, they made public announcements. It was in the news...

How do you not know?

---------- Post added 09-12-2014 at 15:47 ----------

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2012/jan/03/bus-fare-rises-outstrip-inflation

Nearly 3 years ago.

Some regular bus users face a 20% rise in the cost of an annual ticket, with companies blaming increases on rising fuel costs

---------- Post added 09-12-2014 at 15:50 ----------

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/traffic-travel/bus-fare-hike-sparks-anger-from-users-online-and-at-station-1-5783984

First is citing increasing running costs, including the rising price of fuel.

And from the Star (in 20009)

SOUTH Yorkshire's biggest bus company today announced it is increasing fares by an average of eight per cent in the new year.

First is putting up its prices despite falling oil prices - because it bulk-bought its fuel for next year in the summer, when the cost was high.

But the rise also follows a hefty increase in First Group's UK profits and despite its South Yorkshire arm already charging more than some of the firm's other British bus subsidiaries.

Edited by Cyclone