Why are bus & taxi fares still same given oil prices ?

I don't believe I have said that.

I travel about 4 stops for a £1 and the 5th is £1.70

Sorry, posted while I was multi-tasking -not a good idea for a bloke :). Having read AndrewC's post a couple above yours, and your reply I see what you mean. I agree some of the zone price jumps do seem a bit steep, but TBH I can't see FSY going back to the old 'fare-stage' set-up, even though it SHOULD be possible with the machines they use. Don't know for definite, so don't quote me on that.

Clinteastwoo do you know waht percentage of overall operating costs fuel makes up and how much the fall in fuel prices mean they save?

Interesting, for all we know cost of fuel is just being used as a childish excuse for playing with the ticket price.

Strangely enough they don't cost £7 to every destination.

And quite clearly taxi's cost more than buses, so are more expensive. :loopy:

Yes cyclone you are right, unfortunately I will not put down the price of each and every trip including a tip for the driver.

And again cyclone you are right again taxis cost more money, but they can be much better value when a bus arrival and it being clean of antisocial passengers can be like playing roulette.

We have gone off topic here but I was just trying to say that with the extra investment the return of comfort could be higher. Getting a smilie going round as if someone is crazy only points out you think spending money on comfort is crazy and saving money by traveling in discomfort is correct in your line of thinking.

(that's fine, I don't want to criticize your opinion here. My comments only applied to people who have the money to comfortably choose between a bus or a taxi)

Edited by dutch

Thanks for that Andy. Unfortunately, Stagecoach faretables ain't a lot of good for me, all the routes I use are FSY.:) Don't think there are, because I've looked, but are there any for First?

They don't commit to listing single journey fares, just says they start from £1 for a short journey.

Then say certain lines could have promotions.

half the bus drivers in sheffield dont know the fares, i catch the same bus every day at the same bus stop, yet i get charged 3 different prices, the arguments ive had with drivers over this is laughable but each and every one of them are right of course lol !

half the bus drivers in sheffield dont know the fares, i catch the same bus every day at the same bus stop, yet i get charged 3 different prices, the arguments ive had with drivers over this is laughable but each and every one of them are right of course lol !

You are right there, I do the same journey every time and the driver gives me the wrong price or we have a minutes discussion of the stop I'm going to and the driver having to get it up on his ticketing device.

The best thing is I can catch another bus that takes me to the same place as the £1.70 one and is a couple of stops more but is only £1.50. Its not right how they price some of these routes up.

You are right there, I do the same journey every time and the driver gives me the wrong price or we have a minutes discussion of the stop I'm going to and the driver having to get it up on his ticketing device.

The best thing is I can catch another bus that takes me to the same place as the £1.70 one and is a couple of stops more but is only £1.50. Its not right how they price some of these routes up.

Then insteadof moaning, do something about it get a bike, car or walk. they will get the message and you cna send them out of business if not enough people want to use their service. They are a business and just like any other business they can set their price.