Why are bus & taxi fares still same given oil prices ?

Amazing petrol & diesel prices drop yet no shouts from taxi and bus companies about dropping prices about as honest as extra increases at christmas from taxis because drivers are working the holiday period 90% who don't even celebrate christmas blatant profiteering remember this next time they are screaming about fuel prices also black cabs are more expensive in sheffield than London as us yorkshire folks say ROBBING GETS :rant::rant::rant:

Private hire Taxi fares have stayed the same for nearly the last 5 yrs.!!!! Div.

True, but 6 years ago, we had a better service. Still not as good as 10+ years ago, but hey ho...

I'd not mind so much that fares aren't going down, as I understand the business model they have to use, but for the fact that this is sadly, the case. Lets just hope they put the savings aside to bulk buy for the next time A LOT and then maybe be able to look at passing these savings on.

We didn't have a better bus service where I live than 10 years ago. We only used to get about 4 an hour now they are roughly every 6 minutes at peak times and a lot more frequent on a Sunday

[...] as extra increases at christmas from taxis because drivers are working the holiday period 90% who don't even celebrate christmas blatant profiteering remember this next time

Get the bus then?

black cabs are more expensive in sheffield than London as us yorkshire folks say ROBBING GETS :rant::rant::rant:

No they aren't. You've just looked at the starting rate. Look further.

Of the 365 councils, London is 5th highest, and Sheffield is 190th and last increased in 2010.

London tariff 1, 2 miles, £7.20, £8.60-£13.80-(10/20mins)

Sheffield tariff 1, 2 miles, £5.60

National average: £5.65

Links:

:)

We didn't have a better bus service where I live than 10 years ago. We only used to get about 4 an hour now they are roughly every 6 minutes at peak times and a lot more frequent on a Sunday

Depends where you are in the city, I guess.

10 years ago ours were one every ten minutes max wait for one bus (and every 20 mins in evening and sundays), and once every 20 for the other.

Now, every 15 mins supposedly which tend to arrive two together every half an hour, and once every half hour in evenings (if they turn up) and no other bus...

I know some areas have improved though - so I do know it's not all bad. Just given the issues, hopefully they'll use the break they've got with the price dropping to use the money elsewhere! :)

Back 2009 when they spoke of fuel costs rising..... government subsidiaries had been slashed heavily! fuel costs were rising massively and the tax relief bus companies got was reduced.... so a 5p rise in oil price plus the reduction in fuel duty relief probably meant that prices probably went up by 7-8p a litre for bus companies. given that they make small profit margins anyway, it's a given that rising fuel costs would be a factor..... considering the cost of fuel to them was disproportionate to oil prices because it was coupled with lower subsidiaries and lower fuel duty relief.

• 7 months later...
The cost of filling the car is now considerably less than it was some time back, which begs the question

Do you think hauliers, taxis, air travel will reduce their rates too.

The Taxi's won't you can bet your life on it, the air travel might a little bit but they have many other factors affecting price.

Hauliers certainly will because their market is extremely competitive.

Edited by geared

With doing airport transfers I do hundreds of miles in a week so yes the lower fuel prices are very welcome. The last time the prices dropped I did lower my prices but the problem is is that with a drop comes a rise, I took cheaper bookings 4 or 5 months in advance but by the time their holidays come round the prices were back up again so I lost out.

As for the normal local taxis I doubt it would make much difference as what is the average distance of a fare? the fuel usage plays such a small part of it and it's the drivers time you're paying for mostly.

Again what about air travel, if you was booking a week in advance you'd expect to pay less due to low fuel prices but in 6 months who's to know what the cost will be then... if fuel prices are up would you be happy to make up the difference on the day?

The cost of filling the car is now considerably less than it was some time back, which begs the question

Do you think hauliers, taxis, air travel will reduce their rates too. Because their hikes are always passed onto us the consumers.

The Taxi's won't you can bet your life on it, the air travel might a little bit but they have many other factors affecting price.

Hauliers certainly will because their market is extremely competitive.

Mercury/ City have had the same prices now for about 4 years, hardly hiking the price is it?