Sheffield road improvements over the years

Lobos

Think of all the road improvements over the years in sheffield think back to how some of the main junctions used to be like the top of staniforth road top of city road many junctions have no resemblance of how they were in the past, hole in the road in town is one example remember the arundel under pass death trap,I've been looking at some old pictures on picture sheffield amazing how the city has changed in the last 30 or so years...

Think of all the road improvements over the years in sheffield think back to how some of the main junctions used to be like the top of staniforth road top of city road many junctions have no resemblance of how they were in the past, hole in the road in town is one example remember the arundel under pass death trap,I've been looking at some old pictures on picture sheffield amazing how the city has changed in the last 30 or so years...

hiya, i said on another thread ever since 1950ish have road improvements been going on in sheffield and its still going to carry on after all it keeps the planners in work, some 20 odd years ago from the local library i happened to pick an old book of proposed planning changes to the area around the town hall, the plan was to have tree lined avenues radiating in all directions from the town hall,this date was in the mid 30s, i suppose someone will come across the plans sometime and put them forward, this was around the time where i lived the houses were condemned as unfit, it took until 1961 for the powers to be to get this to happen.

That junction at the top of staniforth road with prince of wales road was a shocker as well..that round about at the top of city road and prince of wales road I once came round that on my motorbike one day the next thing I'm on my backside and the bikes gone skidding down the road,I realized I was sat in a puddle of diesel fuel that some bus had dumped on the road..I think the worst road that they improved for the better was when they did the arundel under pass what a death trap that was,loads of accidents and deaths there until they did that road..

What improvements? Visited Sheffield a few months ago, and find the roads are an absolute disgrace. Potholes, diversions. one ways and new routes, what a nightmare. I last visited about 8 years ago, and am sure the works on Penistone Road from Wadsley Bridge to Hillfoot, are in the same state as they were back then.

i would love to know why nearly all the main roads Sheffield have been left?They have done all the side streets and pavements on our estate but left all the main roads,Bellhouse Road,Hartleybrooke Road,Sicey,Hatfield House lane to na

me but a few.WHY?

Edited by redted50

Think of the increased capacity required though. When I first started driving in '67 there were around 12m vehicles on UK roads............today its around 35m!