No more John Smiths at Wetherspoons?

Are you just a bit of an ignoramus who will just drink any old crap?

Well my rational is that if it's being served in thousands of pubs nationwide and it sells millions of pints a year and I don't like it then I'm the odd one out.

The reason it's in the pub in the first place is because people like it and there's demand for it and because people using their own free will have chosen that they like it better than these crappy alternative hipster ales that are so unremarkable that they are off the tap as quickly as they appear.

It personally amuses me that people think they're classy sophisticates because they will drink some home made crap from a conman on the Moor Market and pay £4 a bottle for the faux feeling of authenticism.

Edited by Super Hans

...... pay £4 a bottle for the faux feeling of authenticism.

As an aside: went in the big Asda at Handsworth today and they've got quite a big range of bottled Ales/Beers on for 4 for £5 - plenty of local stuff included. Filled the car boot, squashed the fresh bread :D

Will call into The Swim tomorrow and see what's afoot regarding the Heineken situation.

As an aside: went in the big Asda at Handsworth today and they've got quite a big range of bottled Ales/Beers on for 4 for £5 - plenty of local stuff included. Filled the car boot, squashed the fresh bread :D

Will call into The Swim tomorrow and see what's afoot regarding the Heineken situation.

You won't be disappointed. Shame about the bread!:D

When I went to Amsterdam in the 90's I thought Heineken was great. Especially compared to the pishwater under-strength faux Heineken brewed under licence in England by Ind Coope.

If you thought your Heineken was bad, our pale imitation was even worse.

Have you ever had Skol? Or Harp? Heineken was manna compared to that garbage.

The fact that there are even worse pilsners doesn't mean that Heineken is acceptable. I remember Amstel before it was basically made exactly like Heineken, it was actually a decent beer.

If you want proper Dutch pilsner try Hertog Jan or Bavaria. Very few Dutch folks will disagree about that.

I think they will iron out their differences, it won't be long before Fosters etc are back on the taps at Weatherspoons.

And I'm not going to be one of those idiot hipsters like "HURRRRR DURRRRR IT TASTES LIKE P*** ANYWAY I ONLY DRINK REAL ALE DURRRRRR", if it's beer I'll drink it.

People like you are the reason we still have Carlsberg and Carling on pumps throughout the country.

Well my rational is that if it's being served in thousands of pubs nationwide and it sells millions of pints a year and I don't like it then I'm the odd one out.

The reason it's in the pub in the first place is because people like it and there's demand for it and because people using their own free will have chosen that they like it better than these crappy alternative hipster ales that are so unremarkable that they are off the tap as quickly as they appear.

It personally amuses me that people think they're classy sophisticates because they will drink some home made crap from a conman on the Moor Market and pay £4 a bottle for the faux feeling of authenticism.

Your line of argument reminds me of something I read on a wall in Stockholm some years ago.

It read," Eat sh**...50 million flies can't be wrong."

The reason it's in the pub in the first place is because people like it and there's demand for it and because people using their own free will have chosen that .

Err no,the reason that it's in the pubs is because the large breweries had the tied pub landlords in an iron grip..they had to sell the beer that the brewers told them to..whether it was crap or not...I think that has just been changed now..

I don't think you know what you're talking about.

"Hipster" ales are usually the Brewdog ones, and they're in cans.

Proper real ale are "off the tap as quickly as they appear" because they sell well and sell quickly. And they then put something new on for people to try. If its popular then the landlord will make a note and get it in again, maybe even make it a regular, like they do with Brimstage and Peerless Brewery's ales round here.

They also have a shorter shelf life. Unlike the bland chemical fizz that's Fosters and the like.