Police follow this vehicle?

I propose we set up a process to capture one (GTA styley!) and drive it around to see what happens.

I'd prefer it if we all got in our cars and followed it, creating a convoy of forummers, and posted it on youtube with the Benny Hill theme tune.

Judging by the number of spelling errors pointed out on here, it could be taken two ways:

1) forummers can't spell, so thought it was saying 'please follow this vehicle' and were simply following instructions

or

2) the spelling (and grammar) police thought it was a request for them to follow

Its quiet simple really, like other post have said the Police don't literally follow the vans in patrol cars, but the headquarter follow them with a tracker and if they go off course the police get notified. (similar thing in shops with the emergency button)

The ''Police follow this van'' is just a little reminder to the baddies that they WILL get caught, so it acts as a deterrent, Wouldn't you?

Although if someone did manage to nick the money from the van, get away from the guards in the van, escape the Police they would still have a massive job on getting into the boxes to get the loot.

A couple of weeks ago there was a First double decker on Pinstone St broadcasting "This bus is under attack! Call the police!" at a high volume. Plenty of people turned to look, but no sign of anyone calling the police. The driver did appear to be frantically pressing buttons as if trying to turn the message off.....

If it's a notice shouldn't it say "Police are following this vehicle".

As it stands it sounds like an instruction to the police.

No - if it were an instruction, the standard English punctuation would produce ;

Police, follow this vehicle.

Which is pretty nonsensical in the context of road traffic. Why on earth should police divert from wherever they were going to start following a particular van for no good reason? Why would the van driver want them to?

As it stands it is a statement in the simple present tense :

Police follow this vehicle [on a regular basis].

The police don’t physically follow it. They simply track it. Just like taxis have it fitted nowadays. It simply shows real time movement/ placement. Still I think it is silly. All they are saying is I have something worth robbing me for.

Obviously taxis use it to know where each cab is at any given time and use this information to dispatch the nearest cab for a pickup, saving fuel/ time etc.

Edited by EndlessAccel