How Sheffield is portrayed. Why did they kill the city centre?

So you can save 15 minutes on your journey to London by waiting 5 minutes for a tram, taking a 10 minute tram ride from the city centre to Meadowhall and a 5 minute walk to the station. Sound thinking as long as its not raining.

What would they have to demolish in the city centre? There is nothing there.

How long are the new high speed trains going to be, so how big does the platforms need to be, so would a brand new station need to be built? So where would you build it? Also considering that it's going to be completely new set of tracks, how are they going to get into the city centre and out again?

How long are the new high speed trains going to be, so how big does the platforms need to be, so would a brand new station need to be built? So where would you build it? Also considering that it's going to be completely new set of tracks, how are they going to get into the city centre and out again?

How would they get the track in...which route would they use?

So where on the outskirts of London are they going to find room for their end of the line?

So where on the outskirts of London are they going to find room for their end of the line?

Don't deflect..you need to answer the question that was asked about Sheffield...you said they wouldn't need to demolish anything ...which way would they come in and go out..?

It's going in to Euston, at a significant cost and a considerable construction work. I don't think that there is justification to comparable sums on the Sheffield stop.

In South Yorkshire, more people live outside of Sheffield than they do in Sheffield, and it's a lot easier for people in South Yorkshire to go to Meadowhall than it is to the city centre.

Don't deflect..you need to answer the question that was asked about Sheffield...you said they wouldn't need to demolish anything ...which way would they come in and go out..?

Perhaps you should ask the council. They are the ones that want to bring it into the city centre. I've said all along that there is no city centre worth bringing it in for any more.

---------- Post added 16-12-2014 at 14:15 ----------

It's going in to Euston, at a significant cost and a considerable construction work. I don't think that there is justification to comparable sums on the Sheffield stop.

In South Yorkshire, more people live outside of Sheffield than they do in Sheffield, and it's a lot easier for people in South Yorkshire to go to Meadowhall than it is to the city centre.

So no problem knocking down great swathes of the capital to bring in the same line that isn't worth the effort up here? Isn't the considerable cost and effort in London for exactly the same commuters who you say aren't worth the effort here?

Edited by roosterboost

Perhaps you should ask the council. They are the ones that want to bring it into the city centre. I've said all along that there is no city centre worth bringing it in for any more.

I thought you wanted it bringing into the town centre? You're giving out mixed messages here..at least to me..

I thought you wanted it bringing into the town centre? You're giving out mixed messages here..at least to me..

That's not my fault. You should learn to read better.

I've said all along the city centre is in decline so there isn't really a reason to bring HS2 into the city. Not not doing so is recognition of that fact as well as something that will hasten that decline.

I have just argued that if they can bring a rail line into Sheffield Midland Station they can bring HS2 into Sheffield too. HS2 is expected to stop here not pass through at 200mph. The HS2 line through Sheffield would only need to carry trains at low speed. Stoping and accelerating again.

Edited by roosterboost

Many business people who would want to use the high speed trains probably live in the South West of the City, for the very good reason that it gives easy access to the Peak District National Park. I can't imagine they would want to exchange this environment for a new build in a brown-field executive estate next to Meadowhall, with little infrastructure. They will drive to Meadowhall, saving no travel time, putting more cars on the road, for a longer journey. Presently many London bound travellers bus or cab it to the City centre which is only 2-4 miles from where many live.

If you believe some sources, the run-down state of Sheffield city centre, was mainly intentional. SCC has been (in the main) in the hands of Labour, who’s votership is mainly from lower-class/working class/immigrant areas. You only have to look at the city centre, with its numerous betting-shops, pound shops, bargain-booze off-licences, cash-for-gold & money-lending stores – to get an idea of the kind of market it’s aiming for. SCC have spurned investment from big-name companies, turned-down developments, prevented new buildings being built and blocked the preservation & restoration of others – all the while pursuing their own pet projects & agendas.

On the UK stage (in business terms) there’s a big black cloud over Sheffield, which indicates that the city is not business-friendly. And if you are wishing to invest in the city – expect a lengthy, drawn out battle (Next, BMW, IKEA and numerous other stilted projects). SCC’s also proved how ineffective it is, by letting Hammerson’s completely goose them over the Sevenstone project – nothing written into the contracts about time limits, or failure to deliver.

To continually blame Meadowhall, after 30 years of existence (or other out-of-town retail developments) – or the Recession, is just clutching at straws, when similar former industrial cities of similar size, have been successful with their city centre regeneration projects. Recent articles in The Star have noted that the Business community knows there is spending power within the city limits of Sheffield – however they note that, that wealth is being spent in neighbouring cities.

I believe in stages of development of which Meadowhall and other shopping centres play an important part. The problem is that the city centre is not dead enough in order to redevelop roads, squares, units, markets, or whatever unit of measure you want. A forest fire removes the tall canopy which stops the small shrubs and flowers from growing. A ground level forest fire achieves nothing if the canopy is intact.

Mary Portas's recommendations need to be taken onboard or everyone will be an employee of Tesco or M&S

Edited by SportsTrophy