How Sheffield is portrayed. Why did they kill the city centre?

Many business people who would want to use the high speed trains probably live in the South West of the City, for the very good reason that it gives easy access to the Peak District National Park. I can't imagine they would want to exchange this environment for a new build in a brown-field executive estate next to Meadowhall, with little infrastructure. They will drive to Meadowhall, saving no travel time, putting more cars on the road, for a longer journey. Presently many London bound travellers bus or cab it to the City centre which is only 2-4 miles from where many live.

The problem with city centre is that.

1. Its a lot more complicated to develop a sute that is big enough.

2. It will cost £1 billion more apparently.

3. The line is not meant for just Sheffield as the closer you move it to the city centre, then it will lessen the beneficial impact on Rotherham and they are looking to benefit SY as a whole.

It would be great if it came to Sheffield city centre, but its a complicated choice with pros and cons for both sites.

Many business people who would want to use the high speed trains probably live in the South West of the City, for the very good reason that it gives easy access to the Peak District National Park. I can't imagine they would want to exchange this environment for a new build in a brown-field executive estate next to Meadowhall, with little infrastructure. They will drive to Meadowhall, saving no travel time, putting more cars on the road, for a longer journey. Presently many London bound travellers bus or cab it to the City centre which is only 2-4 miles from where many live.

It is interesting that the supertram was deliberately routed to avoid any of the affluent areas of Sheffield. So the folks from Norton, Bradway, Totley, Dore, Fulwood and Ecclesall etc will need to take their cars if they are to access HS2. But the plus side from their point of view is that they will be able to avoid going into the city centre at all, although this will clearly accelerate its decline.

The problem with city centre is that.

1. Its a lot more complicated to develop a sute that is big enough.

2. It will cost £1 billion more apparently.

3. The line is not meant for just Sheffield as the closer you move it to the city centre, then it will lessen the beneficial impact on Rotherham and they are looking to benefit SY as a whole.

It would be great if it came to Sheffield city centre, but its a complicated choice with pros and cons for both sites.

I've lived in the south-west of the city for over 30 years. I've never taken a London train from Sheffield. It's about the same time by car to/from Chesterfield, parking's easier, and the train journey time is shorter. HS2 from Meadowhall might not be much quicker for me, and traffic into Sheffield is a negative factor. Frequency of services and total travel time may decide the route on the day..

Or they'll get a cab to the current station, and a 5 minute connection to meadowhall.

It's not rocket science.

---------- Post added 17-12-2014 at 07:27 ----------

That's not my fault. You should learn to read better.

I've said all along the city centre is in decline so there isn't really a reason to bring HS2 into the city. Not not doing so is recognition of that fact as well as something that will hasten that decline.

I have just argued that if they can bring a rail line into Sheffield Midland Station they can bring HS2 into Sheffield too. HS2 is expected to stop here not pass through at 200mph. The HS2 line through Sheffield would only need to carry trains at low speed. Stoping and accelerating again.

They can't without putting an unacceptable curve on the track, and bulldozing even more property, and magically extending the stations.

They don't just guess at this stuff you know :suspect:

Or they'll get a cab to the current station, and a 5 minute connection to meadowhall.

It's not rocket science.

Why would anyone who lives at Dore even consider taking a taxi into the city centre and then getting (what???) connection out to Meadowhall. I thought the idea of a high speed rail link was to save time. :loopy::loopy::loopy:

Perhaps you should brush up on your rocket science.

---------- Post added 17-12-2014 at 09:49 ----------

They can't without putting an unacceptable curve on the track, and bulldozing even more property, and magically extending the stations.

They don't just guess at this stuff you know :suspect:

Actually I don't understand what you mean by unacceptable curve. The idea is for the trains to stop in Sheffield so they would actually be going rather slowly as they approach the city centre.

There is actually no need to make platforms the length of a train. You just sell tickets for the carriages that stop alongside the platform at various stations. Not rocket science it happens all over the world. Its called thinking things through.

Why would anyone who lives at Dore even consider taking a taxi into the city centre and then getting (what???) connection out to Meadowhall. I thought the idea of a high speed rail link was to save time. :loopy::loopy::loopy:

Perhaps you should brush up on your rocket science.

If you live in Dore getting the through train to Meadowhall from Dore station is hardly likely to be much of a chore, the connecting journey could be up to 5 minutes longer :huh:

Actually I don't understand what you mean by unacceptable curve. The idea is for the trains to stop in Sheffield so they would actually be going rather slowly as they approach the city centre.

Wouldn't that take some of the H out of "HS" ?

Wouldn't that take some of the H out of "HS" ?

Not unless they've found a way of getting passengers off at 200 mph.

---------- Post added 17-12-2014 at 12:00 ----------

If you live in Dore getting the through train to Meadowhall from Dore station is hardly likely to be much of a chore, the connecting journey could be up to 5 minutes longer :huh:

Are there through trains from Dore to Meadowhall? If there are it hardly brings trade to the city centre. If there aren't I'm struggling to imagine 2 train journeys before you get on HS2 will actually speed up your journey time to London. And that wouldn't bring trade into Sheffield city centre either unless you bought a coffee whilst waiting for your train to arrive.

Are there through trains from Dore to Meadowhall?

Yes I believe it's two an hour. There'll also apparently be a tram link put in as part of HS2.

And that wouldn't bring trade into Sheffield city centre either unless you bought a coffee whilst waiting for your train to arrive

Well no but these people are going South anyway!