How Sheffield is portrayed. Why did they kill the city centre?

Yes I believe it's two an hour. There'll also apparently be a tram link put in as part of HS2.

Well no but these people are going South anyway!

I'd like to see a link to these two trains an hour from Totley to Meadowhall. I'm only aware of trains that run between Manchester and Sheffield main station stopping at Totley.

A tram link from Dore? Oh I see. So they can wait for a train at Dore. Go to Sheffield station on that. Walk from that to the tram stop. Wait for a tram to Meadowhall. Walk from the tram to the station. Wait there for the train then speed off to London.

So the folk who are going south will get off the train in central London and spend their money there. Its not really a help to Sheffield city centre, is it?

Edited by roosterboost

I'd like to see a link to these two trains an hour from Totley to Meadowhall. I'm only aware of trains that run between Manchester and Sheffield main station stopping at Totley.

A tram link from Dore? Oh I see. So they can wait for a train at Dore. Go to Sheffield station on that. Walk from that to the tram stop. Wait for a tram to Meadowhall. Walk from the tram to the station. Wait there for the train then speed off to London.

So the folk who are going south will get off the train in central London and spend their money there. Its not really a help to Sheffield city centre, is it?

Have you ever used a train?

There are trains from Sheffield to Meadowhall, they take approx 6 minutes and they run >twice every 10 mins.

If you were at Sheffield station, coming from Dore or elsewhere, why would you then catch a tram, change in the city centre and then head to meadowhall on that?

http://www.thetrainline.com/buytickets/combinedmatrix.aspx?Command=TimeTable#Journey/SHEFFIELD/MEADOWHALL/17/12/14/14/45/Dep//////Dep/1/0//

Dore to meadowhall currently takes between 14 and 25 mins, depending on the connection. And the Dore to Sheffield train runs at least every hour, and nearly every half hour at peak times.

http://www.thetrainline.com/buytickets/combinedmatrix.aspx?Command=TimeTable#Journey/DORE/MEADOWHALL/17/12/14/14/45/Dep//////Dep/1/0//

---------- Post added 17-12-2014 at 14:47 ----------

Why would anyone who lives at Dore even consider taking a taxi into the city centre

It's like you don't bother to read what's written. My reply was to this;

Presently many London bound travellers bus or cab it to the City centre which is only 2-4 miles from where many live.

So those same people can still get a cab. Nobody said Dore.

and then getting (what???) connection out to Meadowhall. I thought the idea of a high speed rail link was to save time. :loopy::loopy::loopy:

Well if it's 5 mins to meadowhall, and then it's 40 minutes quicker to London, that's a 20 to 35 minute saving, depending on connection...

Actually I don't understand

That much is clear.

Have you ever used a train?

There are trains from Sheffield to Meadowhall, they take approx 6 minutes and they run >twice every 10 mins.

If you were at Sheffield station, coming from Dore or elsewhere, why would you then catch a tram, change in the city centre and then head to meadowhall on that?

http://www.thetrainline.com/buytickets/combinedmatrix.aspx?Command=TimeTable#Journey/SHEFFIELD/MEADOWHALL/17/12/14/14/45/Dep//////Dep/1/0//

Dore to meadowhall currently takes between 14 and 25 mins, depending on the connection. And the Dore to Sheffield train runs at least every hour, and nearly every half hour at peak times.

http://www.thetrainline.com/buytickets/combinedmatrix.aspx?Command=TimeTable#Journey/DORE/MEADOWHALL/17/12/14/14/45/Dep//////Dep/1/0//

---------- Post added 17-12-2014 at 14:47 ----------

It's like you don't bother to read what's written. My reply was to this;

So those same people can still get a cab. Nobody said Dore.

Well if it's 5 mins to meadowhall, and then it's 40 minutes quicker to London, that's a 20 to 35 minute saving, depending on connection...

That much is clear.

Great links. I'm not really sure what you were trying to prove. I doubt you do. So you can get a train once every hour from Dore station into Sheffield, and then you can get another train out to Meadowhall. Big deal. The idea is to get to London quicker not spend all day waiting for trains.

You probably need to swat up on real life and not the fantasy world you clearly inhabit. It is only quicker if you never have to stand around waiting for a connection. If you get back from London and then have to walk 5 mintes to the local train station, wait 5 minutes for a train. Take a 6 minute ride into Sheffield then wait 45 minutes for a train to dore station and then have to call for a cab to get you home it ins't really a time saver.

Great links. I'm not really sure what you were trying to prove. I doubt you do. So you can get a train once every hour from Dore station into Sheffield, and then you can get another train out to Meadowhall. Big deal. The idea is to get to London quicker not spend all day waiting for trains.

You probably need to swat up on real life and not the fantasy world you clearly inhabit. It is only quicker if you never have to stand around waiting for a connection. If you get back from London and then have to walk 5 mintes to the local train station, wait 5 minutes for a train. Take a 6 minute ride into Sheffield then wait 45 minutes for a train to dore station and then have to call for a cab to get you home it ins't really a time saver.

How does it compare to the time taken by someone from Dore to get to London by train now.? Don't people doing that still have to do all the things you've described above?

Edited by truman

I've lived in Sheffield 8 years now I think... The first time I came here and went to the city centre, I was really surprised how small and limited it was, I was expecting a lot more from a retail perspective.

But Sheffield makes up for the lack of retail options in lots of other ways. It's a beautiful, green city with many great parks and public spaces; the Peak District is ten minutes up the road; and the people are amazingly friendly and open. I've never had any trouble going out for a drink on a weekend, or anything like that. And in my opinion, this great culture and friendly atmosphere is well worth the trade-off for the relatively small city centre. (So basically those capitalist economists can bog off.)

Great links. I'm not really sure what you were trying to prove. I doubt you do.

That the train from Dore was more often than you claimed.

And that only you or an idiot would catch a tram from Sheffield station to Meadowhall instead of a train.

So you can get a train once every hour from Dore station into Sheffield, and then you can get another train out to Meadowhall. Big deal. The idea is to get to London quicker not spend all day waiting for trains.

How is it not quicker?

If the Meadowhall to London section is 40 minutes quicker, and Sheffield to Meadowhall takes 5 minutes, then how is it not quicker?

And if you pulled directly into Sheffield, and had to wait 55 minutes for the train to Dore?

Are you trying to look like an idiot for some reason?

Oh, and at peak time it's 14 minutes direct from/to Dore/Meadowhall. So no extra change or wait at Sheffield, just a 6 minute longer journey, and then a theoretical 40 minute saving.

Edited by Cyclone

That the train from Dore was more often than you claimed.

And that only you or an idiot would catch a tram from Sheffield station to Meadowhall instead of a train.

How is it not quicker?

If the Meadowhall to London section is 40 minutes quicker, and Sheffield to Meadowhall takes 5 minutes, then how is it not quicker?

And if you pulled directly into Sheffield, and had to wait 55 minutes for the train to Dore?

Are you trying to look like an idiot for some reason?

Oh, and at peak time it's 14 minutes direct from/to Dore/Meadowhall. So no extra change or wait at Sheffield, just a 6 minute longer journey, and then a theoretical 40 minute saving.

Actually you seem to have missed that I was saying it was a waste of time using public transport from the affluent areas. So the only person who you are making look like an idiot is yourself. But everyone knew that anyhow.

There's about 2 direct trains a day from Dore to Meadowhall. Like you say at peak times. The problem with reality is peak times are peak times. The train has come through from Manchester airport and at peak times its rammed.

If I lived in Dore Totley, Norton Bradway and wanted a train to London I'd drive to Chesterfield park up for the day and catch the train from there. Its a 10 minute drive. Parking is about £10 for 24 hours and the train takes 10 minutes less to get to London.

If I'm still alive when HS2 comes along I doubt that I'll be worrying about a current time table. Only an idiot like you would imagine it would be relevant in 30 years. But that's the real world. You should try it sometime.

Edited by roosterboost

And how do you suggest that we as a country pay for the extra money that you say local government needs?

Local government should be able to issue labour certificates and accept them as payment for local taxes, it would then have the ability to provide employment, build housing, re-pave the streets, provide services etc.

Just like Worgl did in the 1930s.

---------- Post added 17-12-2014 at 19:14 ----------

And the Dore to Sheffield train runs at least every hour, and nearly every half hour at peak times.

You can wait up to 2 hours between trains from Dore to Sheffield in the day, and there is quite often delays and cancellations affecting services through the station.

Anyone going from Dore to the proposed HS2 station at Meadowhall for business reasons would go via taxi. It's the simplest route from your own front door and you can claim the cost of the fare from your client or employer. If you think otherwise, then you have never travelled on someone else's tab for business before.