How Sheffield is portrayed. Why did they kill the city centre?

Local government should be able to issue labour certificates and accept them as payment for local taxes, it would then have the ability to provide employment, build housing, re-pave the streets, provide services etc.

Just like Worgl did in the 1930s.

---------- Post added 17-12-2014 at 19:14 ----------

You can wait up to 2 hours between trains from Dore to Sheffield in the day, and there is quite often delays and cancellations affecting services through the station.

Not what the timetable says.

---------- Post added 17-12-2014 at 19:45 ----------

Actually you seem to have missed that I was saying it was a waste of time using public transport from the affluent areas. So the only person who you are making look like an idiot is yourself. But everyone knew that anyhow.

You were making claims about how often the train ran from Dore, and how long it would take to reach Meadowhall.

Claims that were wrong.

There's about 2 direct trains a day from Dore to Meadowhall. Like you say at peak times. The problem with reality is peak times are peak times. The train has come through from Manchester airport and at peak times its rammed.

If I lived in Dore Totley, Norton Bradway and wanted a train to London I'd drive to Chesterfield park up for the day and catch the train from there. Its a 10 minute drive. Parking is about £10 for 24 hours and the train takes 10 minutes less to get to London.

You wouldn't be on the HS2 though would you.

If I'm still alive when HS2 comes along I doubt that I'll be worrying about a current time table. Only an idiot like you would imagine it would be relevant in 30 years. But that's the real world. You should try it sometime.

If you don't think it's relevant, why were you the one to bring it up?

---------- Post added 17-12-2014 at 19:46 ----------

So you can save 15 minutes on your journey to London by waiting 5 minutes for a tram, taking a 10 minute tram ride from the city centre to Meadowhall and a 5 minute walk to the station. Sound thinking as long as its not raining.

Perhaps you remember posting this?

Or then again, perhaps not.

---------- Post added 17-12-2014 at 19:48 ----------

It is interesting that the supertram was deliberately routed to avoid any of the affluent areas of Sheffield. So the folks from Norton, Bradway, Totley, Dore, Fulwood and Ecclesall etc will need to take their cars if they are to access HS2. But the plus side from their point of view is that they will be able to avoid going into the city centre at all, although this will clearly accelerate its decline.

And then this.

Talking about how the affluent areas would have to drive.

Apparently forgetting Dore station. And when reminded claiming that the trains are very infrequent. And when that's proven to be untrue, claiming that you never said anything about public transport.

It's like shooting fish in a barrel, you just make one erroneous statement after another.

---------- Post added 17-12-2014 at 19:49 ----------

Are there through trains from Dore to Meadowhall?

Even later you demonstrate your ignorance by having to ask!

Not what the timetable says.

What timetable are you using????

Is what the timetable for trains from Dore to Sheffield is through the day.

---------- Post added 17-12-2014 at 20:06 ----------

You were making claims about how often the train ran from Dore, and how long it would take to reach Meadowhall.

Claims that were wrong.

His claims weren't wrong, your claims are wrong.

If you travel from Dore to Sheffield trains are every 2 hours through the day, there is not a service every hour, it would be very nice if there was, especially if you miss a service by a couple of minutes due to another delay, as you then have to wait two hours for a 5 minute journey that can be walked in about 40 minutes.

Edited by chem1st

I use trainline and had a look at what trains were available.

They are less frequent in the middle of the day, so what. Who's going to catch the 11:58 to connect to HS2?

They are frequent in the morning and evening, when they're likely to be needed.

---------- Post added 17-12-2014 at 20:26 ----------

I use trainline and had a look at what trains were available.

You clearly didn't look throughout the day though, nor do you use the services to and from Dore regularly, as you would have known there is a 2 hour gap between services.

They are less frequent in the middle of the day, so what. Who's going to catch the 11:58 to connect to HS2?

They are frequent in the morning and evening, when they're likely to be needed.

---------- Post added 17-12-2014 at 20:26 ----------

The problem is that people do use them through the day, and not having a regular service can put people off of using the train.

People will catch the noon train and then travel on to London, they are hardly going to catch the 8am train and commute to London for work are they, to commute there, they would need to set off much earlier.

So what? so what?

Well, you have been ranting at roosterboost, making a big fuss about him not knowing the frequency of trains at Dore station...

Have you ever used a train?

Dore to meadowhall currently takes between 14 and 25 mins, depending on the connection. And the Dore to Sheffield train runs at least every hour, and nearly every half hour at peak times.

Yet it is you who don't know the frequency of the trains, yet you could have quite easily found them out, by checking the timetable. Instead of checking it properly, you checked a little bit and just guessed you were right and started throwing accusations at roosterboost.

Apparently forgetting Dore station. And when reminded claiming that the trains are very infrequent. And when that's proven to be untrue, claiming that you never said anything about public transport.

It's like shooting fish in a barrel, you just make one erroneous statement after another.

Even going as far as suggesting you had 'proved his claim untrue', and that he just kept making erroneous statements one after another.

- with you even providing a link to evidence proving him right and yourself wrong :hihi:

So you should probably apologise to roosterboost and retract your false claims concerning the frequency of trains at Dore station.

Because when you have made such a fuss about the frequency of trains at Dore station, and false accusations against another poster, and now you're saying, "so what", it makes you look a little bit like your throwing the dummy out, now you have been proven wrong for trying to prove somebody wrong who was right in the first place.

His claim was untrue. They run more frequently for much of the day than once every two hours.

---------- Post added 18-12-2014 at 07:33 ----------

And as he later said, what does the timetable today matter when HS2 is 30 years away.

At least we've established that on a direct train it would take 14 minutes from Dore to Meadowhall. Quicker than it could be driven even with no traffic.

His claim was untrue. They run more frequently for much of the day than once every two hours.

---------- Post added 18-12-2014 at 07:33 ----------

And as he later said, what does the timetable today matter when HS2 is 30 years away.

At least we've established that on a direct train it would take 14 minutes from Dore to Meadowhall. Quicker than it could be driven even with no traffic.

I can see I've dominated your day. You really are pathetic.

Just what are you trying to prove. HS2 is 35 years away and you waste your life arguing about a train time table that will be 3 decades out of date. Keep polishing that turd.

---------- Post added 18-12-2014 at 09:37 ----------

Anyone going from Dore to the proposed HS2 station at Meadowhall for business reasons would go via taxi. It's the simplest route from your own front door and you can claim the cost of the fare from your client or employer. If you think otherwise, then you have never travelled on someone else's tab for business before.

You certainly wouldn't rely on a 35 year old train time table.:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

I'd suggest you go to Specsavers.

You brought up the train service from Dore. You thought people would change at Sheffield and get the tram. And you don't like being corrected. Live with it.

You really are funny. Just in case you haven't noticed folk are laughing at you. :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 18-12-2014 at 11:16 ----------

You clearly didn't look throughout the day though, nor do you use the services to and from Dore regularly, as you would have known there is a 2 hour gap between services.

The problem is that people do use them through the day, and not having a regular service can put people off of using the train.

People will catch the noon train and then travel on to London, they are hardly going to catch the 8am train and commute to London for work are they, to commute there, they would need to set off much earlier.

So what? so what?

Well, you have been ranting at roosterboost, making a big fuss about him not knowing the frequency of trains at Dore station...

Yet it is you who don't know the frequency of the trains, yet you could have quite easily found them out, by checking the timetable. Instead of checking it properly, you checked a little bit and just guessed you were right and started throwing accusations at roosterboost.

Even going as far as suggesting you had 'proved his claim untrue', and that he just kept making erroneous statements one after another.

- with you even providing a link to evidence proving him right and yourself wrong :hihi:

So you should probably apologise to roosterboost and retract your false claims concerning the frequency of trains at Dore station.

Because when you have made such a fuss about the frequency of trains at Dore station, and false accusations against another poster, and now you're saying, "so what", it makes you look a little bit like your throwing the dummy out, now you have been proven wrong for trying to prove somebody wrong who was right in the first place.

You spotted that too.

Here's another one to throw into the mix. Just how much faster will the regular trains be going in 35 years time? Comparing HS2 with current trains is a laugh. It is like comparing Ford Anglias with a Ford Focus.

I would hazzard a guess that in 35 years time I could drive to Chesterfield and get to London 20 minutes quicker on the "slow" train than by taking whatever public transport that could get me to Meadowhell for the bullet train.

Non of which will bring trade in the centre of Sheffield.

Edited by roosterboost

Back in the 1970s and 1980s pedestrianisation was seen as the way forward and was promoted as green and healthy. I can see where they were coming from with that because cars did not run as clean as they do these days. For me, more than anything, pestrianisation killed off the city centre along with one-way streets no right turns and all the rest. It also needs free parking and better public transport right outside the shops

Back in the 1970s and 1980s pedestrianisation was seen as the way forward and was promoted as green and healthy. I can see where they were coming from with that because cars did not run as clean as they do these days. For me, more than anything, pestrianisation killed off the city centre along with one-way streets no right turns and all the rest. It also needs free parking and better public transport right outside the shops

Bloody obvious really. If you are buying a TV. Are you going to want to stick it in the car to take it home or are you going to take it on the bus?

Meadowhall didn't kill off Sheffield city centre. It was the ability of people to shop where they could park and drive home with the goods that they bought that killed the city centre, because the city centre had been turned into a place where you couldn't.

Edited by roosterboost