How Sheffield is portrayed. Why did they kill the city centre?

Whether you like its politics or not, The Economist has clout. Opinions are formed on the basis of the articles in its pages.

However, while I'm no advocate for the magazine's journalism, I think it's worth pointing out that the article isn't necessarily heralding the imminent demise of Sheffield, rather its using it as an example of cities where the economic action is taking place at the edges rather than the centre.

In terms of retail Meadowhall is of course a prime example, but there are other really exciting developments in other sectors too, for instance the Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre - again being located on the outskirts of our fair city. And don't forget the RoCo creative arts thing which is taking shape near the University. Or even the Antiques Quarter up Abbeydale way.

I don't think that by arguing for this doughnut theory of cities the article is disrespecting Sheffield - far from it. Perhaps it's just thinking about the future?

Does that make sense to any of you?

• 2 weeks later...

I came upon this headline today, mainly because it is trending at the moment. Which means it is being read by rather a lot of people.

http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21633907-britains-largest-cities-are-centralising-smaller-ones-are-doing-opposite-empty-centre

WHEN Sheffield Town Hall opened in 1897, it was a symbol of pride in a city on a Victorian growth spurt. Now it stands lost in an urban wasteland. A 13-shop stretch along a nearby high street includes six empty buildings, five temporary shops, and a clothing store selling everything for under £10 ($16).

A mere 15-minute tram ride out of the city, though, reveals a different scene—lit-up office blocks where workers jog on treadmills in ground-floor gyms, beside a buzzing shopping centre called Meadowhall. At 5.30pm the ground floor of Debenhams, a department store in the mall, is more densely populated than Sheffield’s entire central high street.

It gives an image of Sheffield centre unlikely to bring in investment. Why have those in charge allowed Sheffield City Centre to die?

Edited by roosterboost

Its a rubbish aticle.

Whereabouts in Sheffield is the main picture they use? Anyone recognise it?

They allowed Meadowhall to be built and most people go and use it. There is a finite amount of disoable income and those who have it prefer to spend it in meadowhall, which leaves propsects for the city centre limited.

Add on that changes in the economy nationally and internationally, changes in society, internet shopping etc. theres more to a city centre than retail, there are plenty of offices in the city centre.

Fortunately the articcle is so poor, people should read it and be less gullible and they can decide if its accurate or not.

Good spot altus.

Its a rubbish aticle.

Whereabouts in Sheffield is the main picture they use? Anyone recognise it?

They allowed Meadowhall to be built and most people go and use it. There is a finite amount of disoable income and those who have it prefer to spend it in meadowhall, which leaves propsects for the city centre limited.

Add on that changes in the economy nationally and internationally, changes in society, internet shopping etc. theres more to a city centre than retail, there are plenty of offices in the city centre.

Fortunately the articcle is so poor, people should read it and be less gullible and they can decide if its accurate or not.

Good spot altus.

Take a trip to Liverpool and see how a city that was dead in the water 30 years ago has become a smart thriving city.

I think the reson Sheffield is in the state it is in is because much of the population just says so what and makes excuses for why Sheffield city centre got flushed down the pan rather than blaming it on the folk who let it happen.

Edited by roosterboost

Don't think the photo is even Sheffield!

That's what I thought or at least i dont recognise it, which is apalling bit of journalism.

---------- Post added 11-12-2014 at 18:31 ----------

I think the reson Sheffield is in the state it is in is because much of the population just says so what and makes excuses for why Sheffield city centre got flushed down the pan rather than blaming it on the folk who let it happen.

Oh yes its all the Councils fault, nothing to do with economics, technology, death of traditional industry..... keep telling yourself that

Oh yes its all the Councils fault, nothing to do with economics, technology, death of traditional industry..... keep telling yourself that

Yes you keep telling yourself that. Don't ask yourself why places like Liverpool and Manchester are doing rather better. Just keep coming up with excuses for why the Sevenstones developers pulled out of Sheffield and invested in Leeds..

It is a good thing for the owners of Meadowhall that the same economics, technology, death of traditional industry didn't happen there. Oh hang on..........

Edited by roosterboost

Yes you keep telling yourself that. Don't ask yourself why places like Liverpool and Manchester are doing rather better. Just keep coming up with excuses for why the Sevenstones developers pulled out of Sheffield and invested in Leeds..

It is a good thing for the owners of Meadowhall that the same economics, technology, death of traditional industry didn't happen there. Oh hang on..........

Why do you think that the Sevenstone developers pulled out?