How Sheffield is portrayed. Why did they kill the city centre?

Or perhaps you should see the context in which things are said, and not make random unrelated statements.

Strawman much?

---------- Post added 12-12-2014 at 17:12 ----------

Well, I'm off out into the city centre to visit the many micro brewery pubs and then for a meal.

I'm sure it'll be totally empty though. :roll:

Or to translate your post into English. "You didn't post what I claimed you did". :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

So you are back to posting complete tripe as you have no valid points to make. Gosh town was busy with folk drinking at Christmas shock posting tomorrow. I can't wait for that.. Just let us know if they had covered the boarded up shops with tinsel.

It doesn't alter the reality that Sheffield city centre is in a downward spiral of decline. But if you think you can alter that by burying your head in the sand then more fool you.

Edited by roosterboost

I've still no idea why you took an answer to a question and brought Oxford street into it. Can you explain or not?

Here, let me remind you;

The supermarkets are the heart of the Town centre. They pump the blood (customers) to all the other organs (shops). So why did they abandon the Town centre's.

Wikipedia - During the Thatcher government of the 1980s, a change in planning policy allowed competing out-of-town shopping and leisure centres to be developed. Examples include the Metro Centre in Gateshead, the Merry Hill Centre in Dudley, and the Gyle Centre in Edinburgh. Developments of this type have, in a number of places, resulted in a decline in traditional town centres.

Why did they do it?

Oh look, there's a question.

Because it makes total sense to make shopping centres out of the congested city centre and close to the good communication links (ie the M1).

And there's an answer.

A bit like Oxford Street then?

What does this question even mean, in relation to the answer I'd just given.

It just makes no sense.

On the face of it, you appear to be trying to score some kind of point by referencing a busy shopping street.

But since I hadn't said that busy shopping streets don't exist, or indeed commented on them in anyway, instead you just look like an idiot.

---------- Post added 13-12-2014 at 10:30 ----------

Does a successful city centre shopping centre need to be a modern development?

You then try a bit of straw manning, by asking me to defend a position I haven't taken.

But fail to answer this

You Flanker7 asked why they were allowing out of town shopping to be built. What did you think Oxford Street had to do with the answer to that question?
Edited by Cyclone

I've still no idea why you took an answer to a question and brought Oxford street into it. Can you explain or not?

Here, let me remind you;

Oh look, there's a question.

And there's an answer.

What does this question even mean, in relation to the answer I'd just given.

It just makes no sense.

On the face of it, you appear to be trying to score some kind of point by referencing a busy shopping street.

But since I hadn't said that busy shopping streets don't exist, or indeed commented on them in anyway, instead you just look like an idiot.

---------- Post added 13-12-2014 at 10:30 ----------

You then try a bit of straw manning, by asking me to defend a position I haven't taken.

But fail to answer this

Oh I see. So I'm supposed to answer questions you ask of someone else now. You really do need to get a life and take a long holiday. If there's one person who makes himself look like an idiot it is you. But that is perhaps because you are an idiot.

It was Meadowhall that doomed the City centre and the council were complicit in it, they built roads to the place, buses were re-routed to go to the bus station there. I think its a terrible place.

Very true, but did they have an option? It did bring in jobs and kept spending in the area. If they didn't build it then people would have gone to other shopping centres of out the area.

I don't think Sheffield was alone in the "dying city centre" club either. Pre the IRA bomb Manchester was pretty grotty.

Edited by alchresearch

Very true, but did they have an option? It did bring in jobs and kept spending in the area. If they didn't build it then people would have gone to other shopping centres of out the area.

I don't think Sheffield was alone in the "dying city centre" club either. Pre the IRA bomb Manchester was pretty grotty.

Jobs were a very important factor but there were and still are lots of brown sites in the city without going out of town, if they can build vast amount of flats they could have built a shopping centre.

The reason shopping centres are built out of town is due to transport links. The M1 goes pretty much straight to meadowhall.

Imagine all that traffic trying to get into the city centre... At busy times (like xmas) it can back up onto the motorway it gets that busy, and that's with huge areas of parking and multiple, free flowing, entrances.

---------- Post added 15-12-2014 at 09:58 ----------

It didn't kill off Rotherham town centre.

What did then, it's been dead for a long time.

It was Meadowhall that doomed the City centre and the council were complicit in it, they built roads to the place, buses were re-routed to go to the bus station there. I think its a terrible place.

Plenty of other cities have out of town shopping centres and their city centres survive. There was no investment in the city shopping facilities until the council built the new market building and that's pretty minor in the grand scheme of things. The reason the city centre is dying is because there has been no investment so chains are going elsewhere where they can get modern facilities.