How Sheffield is portrayed. Why did they kill the city centre?

What did then, it's been dead for a long time.
Meadowhall did to a large extent, of course. In tandem with the fast-ailing socio-economic fabric of the town since Corus/British Steel got mothballed. Parkgate retail park rubbed some coarse sea salt in the wound, and finished it off.

Whats with all the boarded up shops and expensive parking?

Its a poor excuse for a city centre tbh. Little better than 20 years ago.

Think sheffields quality lies in the suburbs. Cant see it changing in the next few years without serious inward investment.

---------- Post added 15-12-2014 at 11:05 ----------

It was Meadowhall that doomed the City centre and the council were complicit in it, they built roads to the place, buses were re-routed to go to the bus station there. I think its a terrible place.

Meadowhall sucks too. Just rows and rows of boring chains.

Id like to see indie markets like corn exchange in Leeds or multi purpose centres like the trinity centre.

---------- Post added 15-12-2014 at 11:07 ----------

The reason shopping centres are built out of town is due to transport links. The M1 goes pretty much straight to meadowhall.

Imagine all that traffic trying to get into the city centre... At busy times (like xmas) it can back up onto the motorway it gets that busy, and that's with huge areas of parking and multiple, free flowing, entrances.

Its free to park too. I mean why would anyone pay to have a coffee

The parking is not controlled by the council (not the majority anyway which is privately owned).

I guess these companies want to make a profit, so they are presumably setting what they consider to be a competitive price (not competitive compared to free at Meadowhall though).

Where are the boarded up shops though? I've not seen any on fargate, division street or between those areas.

The parking is not controlled by the council (not the majority anyway which is privately owned).

I guess these companies want to make a profit, so they are presumably setting what they consider to be a competitive price (not competitive compared to free at Meadowhall though).

Where are the boarded up shops though? I've not seen any on fargate, division street or between those areas.

The majority isnt privately owned its council. In and out the centre. Says on the pay metre. Unless ive gone completely blind

What about the moor and surrounding area. Even division street has boarded up shops. Well was a few weeks ago.

---------- Post added 15-12-2014 at 11:18 ----------

What should they do?

Stop taking so much money from council budgets so the council have to indirectly tax motorists and shops with high business rates to balance accounts.

---------- Post added 15-12-2014 at 11:27 ----------

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/travel/driving/parking.html

Free parking on sat after 2pm is good move.

Meadowhall did to a large extent, of course. In tandem with the fast-ailing socio-economic fabric of the town since Corus/British Steel got mothballed. Parkgate retail park rubbed some coarse sea salt in the wound, and finished it off.

Interestingly Mary Portas visited Rotherham recently and reported it as thriving.

In that case I'd like to borrow her rose-tinted spectacles!

There are many words I would use to describe Rotherham town centre and "thriving" is not one of them!

Odd then that her report sited 86 new businesses in the town centre and a 14% increase in footfall over 2 years.

But then she isn't biased.