How Sheffield is portrayed. Why did they kill the city centre?

Interestingly Mary Portas visited Rotherham recently and reported it as thriving.
As an ex-inhabitant of Rotherham (Rawmarsh), with family living in and around Rotherham (Greasbrough, Whiston, Bramley) and, accordingly, visiting the town centre uninterruptedly for the last 20-odd years and still reasonably frequently (average 2x to 3x per month at least, 'shopping' (look-see really) and outings)...you'll have to excuse me if I don't prostrate myself at the biased feet of the latest media celeb given a token ring of affection by this Government, and if I don't swallow her self-serving and Gvt-serving propaganda whole :P

Odd then that her report sited 86 new businesses in the town centre and a 14% increase in footfall over 2 years.

But then she isn't biased.

Nothing odd at all, when most of these businesses are betting, payday and charity shops...which reflect the times and the town's socio-demographic progression perfectly well, regrettably.

As an ex-inhabitant of Rotherham (Rawmarsh), with family living in and around Rotherham (Greasbrough, Whiston, Bramley) and, accordingly, visiting the town centre uninterruptedly for the last 20-odd years and still reasonably frequently (average 2x to 3x per month at least, 'shopping' (look-see really) and outings)...you'll have to excuse me if I don't prostrate myself at the biased feet of the latest media celeb given a token ring of affection by this Government, and if I don't swallow her self-serving and Gvt-serving propaganda whole :P

Nothing odd at all, when most of these businesses are betting, payday and charity shops...which reflect the times and the town's socio-demographic progression perfectly well, regrettably.

Oh and dont forget to add hairdressers! on a side note why is there so many hairdressers / beauty salons / nailbars opening up?

---------- Post added 15-12-2014 at 13:02 ----------

On another side note ecommerce is booming. Dont forget bricks and mortar is old school, stores will migrate online and if they can do away with all those nasty overheads (like staff) they will.

Yes, Sheffield town centre has much of these issues, especially in the Castle Market area. As do a number of other towns, but Rotherham always seems much worse then your average town centre.

Odd then that outsiders site Sheffield in the OPs report as symbolizing city centre dereliction and others Rotherham as a beacon of expansion.

"The past three years have seen encouraging increases in the footfall figures within Rotherham, with an overall 13 per cent uplift in shopper numbers. This has been during a time when many equivalent sized UK towns have seen trade decreasing.

Rotherham has also seen a decrease in empty shops on key shopping streets to just 11 per cent and over 85 new businesses have opened in the town centre since 2010.

Surveys of shoppers have shown that the unique, quality shopping offer is finding favour across the area and putting Rotherham town centre firmly on the map. Key findings include:

75 per cent of respondents now state that Shopping is the main reason for visiting the town centre – compared to 35 per cent in 2009.

35 per cent of shoppers said that the main reason for visiting is that Rotherham has a good range of shops they liked compared to only two per cent who said this in 2009.

92 per cent of shoppers are satisfied or very satisfied with the independent shopping offer (compared to 42 per cent in 2009). "

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/business-news/mary-portas-returns-to-rotherham-to-see-revival-of-town-centre-1-6560036

Television retail guru Mary Portas will be in Rotherham tomorrow to see the transformation in the town centre.

Along with Brandon Lewis MP, the Government minister for high streets, town centres and markets, she will be looking at the progress being made through the town’s Portas Pilot project and meet with some of the retailers who have contributed to Rotherham’s shopping renaissance.

The pair will meet some retailers who have launched or expanded their presence within the town centre, and those that have benefited from training funded under the Government’s Portas Pilot scheme.

The past three years have seen encouraging increases in the footfall figures within Rotherham, with an overall 13 per cent rise in shopper numbers.

Edited by roosterboost

Odd then that outsiders site Sheffield in the OPs report as symbolizing city centre dereliction and others Rotherham as a beacon of expansion.

I'm not pretending Sheffield does't have major issues with town centre decline, but the claim that Rotherham is a beacon of town centre expansion can be disproved simply by a visit to Rotherham town centre.

What shops are there in Rotherham town centre that are worth a special trip to Rotherham?

I'm not pretending Sheffield does't have major issues with town centre decline, but the claim that Rotherham is a beacon of town centre expansion can be disproved simply by a visit to Rotherham town centre.

What shops are there in Rotherham town centre that are worth a special trip to Rotherham?

I don't really need to visit Rotherham. That's the point. It is the press that is sending the message out to potential investors who probably don't read Sheffield Forum but doread the newspapers, watch the news on TV and listen to folk like Mary Portas

"Having last visited Rotherham town centre in 2011 as part of her Government-commissioned review, Mary Portas was back in the borough earlier this year. After seeing the success of heritage-led regeneration on the High Street, the support of entrepreneurial retailers in Pop-Up shops and the newly opened, Makers Emporium, Portas described the turnaround as fantastic and was bursting with pride at was has been achieved.

In the latest essay, entitled, "Why our High Streets Still Matter", Rotherham is used as a case study of how a local council has taken a very active role in the regeneration of a once desolate town centre.

The report picks out key statistics such as the 86 new businesses that have opened in the last three years and the reduction in vacant units on key shopping streets from over 20% to 14%, as well as the improvements in shopper satisfaction.

Also picked out for praise are a number of encouraging projects such as the popular Whistle Stop Sweet Shop & Temperance Bar, that has expanded with the backing of the council through the Portas Pilot funding.

Chris Hamby's ambitious plans to bring listed buildings on the High Street back to life is also praised, as is the way his vision was backed with an affordable loan by the council when the banks wouldn't.

The Makers Emporium, home to 30 local artisans and crafters, is also highlighted for the way in which a number of groups have come together to create an innovative retail space. It is described as an example of a very clever way to differentiate the High Street offer and become a destination.

In the report, Mary Portas, said: "The turnaround achieved in Rotherham is one of the best case studies I know.

"Collaboration at its finest; an inspired and talented Town Team, an enlightened and committed Local Authority, a busy and ambitious local college and a very supportive British Land.

"The results they've started to see are impressive to say the least. If you have an interest in High Streets, go and visit Rotherham and get the story first hand.""

Edited by roosterboost

Well i suggest you do and then see what you think.

Do you usually believe everything you read in the newspapers, or what someone with a vested interest says?

I read in the newspapers and saw on TV that it is cold on the moon. I've not been to check. I'm prepared to take their word for it.

To be honest I'd probably rather trust them than you. But who do you think the rest of the world will believe? I live at the wrong end of town to worry about it, and as I'm not looking to open a business in Sheffield or Rotherham it doesn't really worry me either way. I was just pointing out to another contributor to this thread that Rotherham seems to have escaped the decline that they claim Meadowhall inflicted on Sheffield.

I think my conclusion is there are a lot of folk in Sheffield who like to make excuses and bury their heads to the truth about Sheffield city centre decline.

I don't suppose you want me pointing out that Chesterfield too is experiencing somewhat of a boom. They have rock bands at the Proact Stadium the town Centre shop vacancy rate is just 7.7 per cent - way below the national average of 12.2 per cent and chasing top-performing Cambridge, at 7 per cent, and employment in the borough is just 3.1 per cent.

Do you know off the top what Sheffield'd shop vacancy rate is, or what unemployment is in the city?

Edited by roosterboost