Hospital parking

I can recall that some years ago the NGH was proposing to build a multi storey car park within the hospital grounds but the planning application was refused because the locals objected - shot themselves in the foot there I guess.

Can you find any support for that recollection?

Was it not really a funding issue?

Can you find any support for that recollection?

Was it not really a funding issue?

Sorry I can't provide any support for this memory except that when the application was submitted by the Trust, all hospital staff who struggle every day to park their car despite paying for a permit were very nearly jumping up and down with excitement - me included.

Bitter disappointment followed when the application was turned down - the reason WAS the objections of some residents who stated that the construction would interfere with the view they had from their residence. This what we were told anyway. It was many years ago tbh though.

And - yes - I do live a very boring life. I'll admit it before anyone else says it !:)

Edited by Daven

Sorry I can't provide any support for this memory except that when the application was submitted by the Trust, all hospital staff who struggle every day to park their car despite paying for a permit were very nearly jumping up and down with excitement - me included.

Bitter disappointment followed when the application was turned down - the reason WAS the objections of some residents who stated that the construction would interfere with the view they had from their residence. This what we were told anyway. It was many years ago tbh though.

And - yes - I do live a very boring life. I'll admit it before anyone else says it !:)

Memory is a funny thing and your have an especially poor one since you've not recalled a single thing correctly.

The Northern General Hospital was awarded planning consent for a multistorey

staff / visitor car park in November 2008. Consent was given with a

condition that the NHS Trust would contribute a sum of money to the capital

set up costs of traffic management measures in the surrounding area. Due

to financial reasons the trust has abandoned the multi storey car park

proposal and is now pursuing more modest on-site parking improvements.

The NHS trust has provided the Council with £30,000 to cover the cost of

consulting on and implementing on street parking improvements.

Wasn't a case that we didn't want one, more of a case that folk who live near the hospital aren't exactly well off and couldn't necessarily afford the annual permit charge.

So residents turned down the opportunity to have their area relieved from commuter parking because they didn't want to pay £36 (reduced to £18 for lower emission category vehicles) per annum for a permit.

How sensible is that looking now?

If you genuinely can't afford £36 per year for a permit, how can you actually run a car? It's less than the cost of a tank of gas! Motoring organisations say it costs £3.5k per annum to run a car.

So residents turned down the opportunity to have their area relieved from commuter parking because they didn't want to pay £36 (reduced to £18 for lower emission category vehicles) per annum for a permit.

How sensible is that looking now?

If you genuinely can't afford £36 per year for a permit, how can you actually run a car? It's less than the cost of a tank of gas! Motoring organisations say it costs £3.5k per annum to run a car.

I can afford both so your lecture on motoring economics is wasted on me, especially as I was happy to permit.

There are people on my street that need a car to get to their job who are on the breadline.

Memory is a funny thing and your have an especially poor one since you've not recalled a single thing correctly.

You conveniently 'forgot' to mention that I said in my post 'this is what we were told'. The proverbial 'mushroom' status - as ever.

Maybe your 'memory' is not so good either.

As a matter of interest - where did this quote come from ?

Now that really WOULD be interesting...........

Edited by Daven

You conveniently 'forgot' to mention that I said in my post 'this is what we were told'. The proverbial 'mushroom' status - as ever.

Maybe your 'memory' is not so good either.

As a matter of interest - where did this quote come from ?

Now that really WOULD be interesting...........

You can't be a nurse if you need somebody else to wipe your backside. Google would be your friend, as it was mine, but to save you the trouble I'll apply the virtual Andrex for you - it is from the council's 2013 report for the permit scheme.

If there was money to be made the Trust would have built a car park years ago. As it is the staff will just have to be as unprivileged as almost everyone else who travels to work somewhere.

I can afford both so your lecture on motoring economics is wasted on me, especially as I was happy to permit.

There are people on my street that need a car to get to their job who are on the breadline.

Breadline? A working person who can somehow manage to afford a run a car but struggle to pay 70p a week for their parking permit really needs to give their head a wobble.

Breadline and poverty are words bandied far too easily these days.

Had a 9:30 appointment earlier this week at NGH. Spent half an hour trying to find an on site parking space and ended up parking on Longley Hall Road and walking around past the retirement home and being 15 minutes late. I was surprised how many permit only areas there were, which I couldn't remember from last time I went a few years back. There were quite a lot of free permit spaces up near the blood transfusion end.

It really needs something doing to address the parking problem. It's not a realistic option for a lot of people to use public transport. Even an access point in to the grounds through the fence near the blood transfusion would have helped me at the time.

• 3 weeks later...
You can't be a nurse if you need somebody else to wipe your backside. Google would be your friend, as it was mine, but to save you the trouble I'll apply the virtual Andrex for you - it is from the council's 2013 report for the permit scheme.

If there was money to be made the Trust would have built a car park years ago. As it is the staff will just have to be as unprivileged as almost everyone else who travels to work somewhere.

Hardly a privilege to pay monthly for a parking permit which can't used because of the lack of permit only parking spaces and so having to pay and display.

What an odious person you are :gag:

Happy Christmas and thanks to all health care staff working over the holiday period. At least you won't have a problem parking !

The 'essential car users' car park will be entirely empty .

Edited by Daven