Hospital parking

:nono:I parked at the NGH the other day, and put 2 £1 coins and a 50p into the machine for a £2.50 ticket and the 50p slipped straight through the machine and did not register, so I had to put another 50p in to get my ticket, paying £3.00 in total.

No wonder it says no change given-sneaky!:nono:

Yes that is too expensive , my son has been in hospital 2 weeks , we go and visit him twice a day , so at the moment , parking has cost us £70.00

It's worth asking if you can apply for a visitors parking permit, I was eligible for one when my Dad was in the NGH long term and I was visiting daily. I still had to buy a pay and display ticket but only once a week, so much cheaper.

I had reason to visit hospital last week...

The first time since moving to Wales. I even had to google to discover it's whereabouts.

My first thoughts was making sure I had enough change to pay for parking.

Well......pleasantly surprised to find the car parks were free all day parking.

If the NHS in Wales can do it why not in Sheffield?

I live at Norton, Sheffield 8.

It is very frustrating trying to find a parking space at the hospitals in Sheffield ... both at the Hallamshire and the NGH. I'm lucky that I can afford the costs of parking, and petrol, when I need to be there ... but can I find somewhere to leave my car for even 5 minutes? .. NO!

The NHS staff should have free parking with a 'park and ride' away from the area(s).

Having said that, my main concern is the travelling time it takes to get from the south of Sheffield to get to either of these hospitals.

If they want to charge for parking to put the money back into the hospital then fine... but the last thing you want to be thinking about when going to visit a sick relative is worrying about having enough change! INSTALL A CARD MACHINE!!! It's a reasonable request when they're charging £2.40!

And charge you when you leave, rather than have to guess at how long you're going to need and either overpay to be on the safe side, or be constantly checking, worrying you'll go over time, or having to go back to the car to top your ticket up.

I had reason to visit hospital last week...

The first time since moving to Wales. I even had to google to discover it's whereabouts.

My first thoughts was making sure I had enough change to pay for parking.

Well......pleasantly surprised to find the car parks were free all day parking.

If the NHS in Wales can do it why not in Sheffield?

You might have heard the NHS in Wales is in financial crisis wuth three trusts overspending by millions and the auditor raising serious concerns about how they are run and their solvency.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jun/17/nhs-wales-faces-funding-gap

4:18 pm, Thu 26 Jun 2014

Auditor reveals three health boards overspent budgets

Three health boards which overspent their budgets have been given an unprecedented 'qualified' sign-off by the Auditor General for Wales.

The boards are Cardiff and Vale University Health Board, Hywel Dda University Health Board and Powys Teaching Health Board.

Two other boards - Betsi Cadwaladr and Cwm Taf - only managed to stay within budget by receiving extra funds from the Welsh Government.

The Auditor General, Huw Vaughan Thomas, said:

I have today signed off the last of the 10 NHS accounts for 2013-14 – three of which I have qualified. This is unprecedented in Wales and something which I will be commenting on in much more detail in the autumn when I publish my annual report into NHS finances.

– Huw Vaughan Thomas, Auditor General for Wales

Edited by 999tigger