Hospital parking

I appreciate that, but the solution is straightforward for an adult; drive, park, bus, or even bike!

If you have all of those options available to you....

Already stated that public transport isn't a feasible option as the service hours don't run in line with the hours that she works. Rural services aren't that great.

As for cycling, a quick route check shows the distance as 17.6 miles, a decent percentage of which on dicey rural lanes, without street lights. Would you really want one of your female relatives cycling that route in the dark at ridiculous hours?

My point remains the same. The hospital are charging for a service that they are not providing really.

---------- Post added 29-11-2017 at 17:35 ----------

Maybe not a help for NGH but I do know there are a quite a few people who park on the various estates in and around Handsworth and then catch the bus.

Would parking in, for example, Ecclesfield be a possibility rather than close on to NGH?

Thanks for the suggestion Phili Buster, I will pass on this information to her.

This could well be a decent alternative solution for normal working hours, but i'm not sure Sheffield buses run into the early hours do they?

Thank you all the same for your suggestion though, I will pass this on.

---------- Post added 29-11-2017 at 17:38 ----------

I'd park on any street around Longley and just walk around.

Believe it or not, staff are being encouraged to try and find parking in the hospital ground because the crime around there at the moment is absolutely terrible and quite scary.

There have been numerous muggings / street robberies in and around the grounds, those parking on roads in the surrounding areas have been especially targeted.

Also I do very much agree with the plight of those who live in the surrounding areas as well, they should be entitled to park their own vehicles outside of their property without spaces being taken up by hospital staff

I'd park on any street around Longley and just walk around.

Yep, you and thousands of others daily . . .

Tip to the OP, if you want to park on the surrounding streets of the NGH, then PLEASE get there before 6:30am. By 6:45 / 7am, the surrounding streets are full of NGH staff and patients’ card and you WILL struggle to find a space.

Can’t some of the NGH staff get a petition / class action suit / bribe / blackmail the NGH directors to build another multi-storey car park within the NGH grounds?

I contacted Sir Andrew Cash about this a year or two ago, but one of his staff said they couldn’t afford to build another car park at the time as they were saving up for the £10illion helipad. Now that’s built, can we have a car park please ?

Also I do very much agree with the plight of those who live in the surrounding areas as well, they should be entitled to park their own vehicles outside of their property without spaces being taken up by hospital staff

Council consulted them on having a permit parking scheme and they said they didn't want one.

No-one is "entitled" to park their vehicle outside their property. It's a public road.

Council consulted them on having a permit parking scheme and they said they didn't want one.

I was against the permit scheme because I didn’t want to unfairly punish NHS staff who couldn’t park within the hospital grounds as there weren’t enough places.

In an example of “joined-up thinking” (not the city council’s strong point, I admit) I wanted the NGH to build another multi-storey car park within the hospital grounds and then the area can have a parking permit scheme.

The free H1 bus runs every half hour Mon-Fri from 6am-6pm. Is there nowhere on the route to park, free for the day, and travel in on it at least some of the time?

Good call. There's free parking just up the road at the shopping centre near Tesco across from Longley School. Busses run every half hour to and from the NGH, or you could walk (takes about 20 mins depending whereabouts in the Hospital you work) or 5 minutes on the bus.

You do realise that most employers don't provide on site parking right? My company doesn't. My last company didn't. In fact, only the company I worked for in 1997 ever has. For the rest of the time, I've had to pay, get the bus, or manage some other way. My current car park is circa £1200 a year, out of my pocket.

And yes, that includes working at night.

My wife currently works at the Hallamshire. No parking there. She gets the bus for that very reason.

Sadly, in the days when parking is limited for everyone, it's a problem many, many, many people face.

Couldn’t agree more.

As much as I admire the work our medical staff do, why should they be provided with parking?