2014/2015 Snow & Winter Weather MegaThread

Supertram update

from http://www.twitter.com/SCSupertram

BLUE ROUTE - operating Malin Bridge-Sheffield Station. No service beyond to Halfway

PURPLE ROUTE - suspended

YELLOW ROUTE - running normally

No service to Halfway/Herdings due to cars blocking the tram tracks on City Road.

UPDATE - last tram to Halfway will now run, departing City Centre 23:36

We've had a bit of snow in S21 (and a bit more in Chesterfield) but nothimg has settled. Yet. I think the worst will come in morning.
White over in Worksop now, literally in the blink of an eye :o

I looked out not an hour ago and there was nowt, just wet, windy and miserable...and just looked now and it's covering, with a full base already down, close to what the linked photo of small_hall shows in Sheffield north.

If this freezes and it starts big-flaking it later on, tomorrow's commute is going to be something epic, for sure.

Many thanks to Andy C for his very helpful updates on the roads. Sounds bad out there.

Last update from me as I have to be up at 6am to get the dog walked and get ready to trek into town to work. I'll try to make it a detailed one.

Currently the winds are blowing the snow increasingly from the NW and pushing colder Northern air down towards us. Over the Irish Sea what can be a small spec on the radar - maybe a mile or two wide light snow flurry - can be a heavy showers cloud just 45 minutes later spanning about 10-15 miles. I imagine it will give us showers and flurries over the next few hours periodically but it is really developing in the distance.

Now leaving N Ireland and the Atlantic are major spells of snow covering many square miles that should get here in around 2 or 3 hours. If the current trend continues, given our altitude and microclimate, these should give us persistent heavy snow in the early hours and on into and beyond rush hour. Particularly bad will be the spell between 6am - 9am.

I'm sure we'll know a lot more at 6am and as always this could change if the wind directions alter between now and then, but the prognosis for the morning is looking worse with each passing hour, not better.

Be safe out there!!