2014/2015 Snow & Winter Weather MegaThread

Winnatts pass is open itself, but the roads off the top are still very badly affected and haven't been ploughed. There's loads of snow up there and it's drifting in the wind.

The roads up from Hathersage to Ringinglow have also not been ploughed, so although the road up the side of the Scotsman's Pack is passable as far as the car park for Stanage Edge, it's not passable any further up than that, even for 4 wheel drives.

Does anyone know what the road conditions out to Edale are like? Having been unable to go winter walking in Scotland this season would like to head up Mam Tor in the snow instead, wondering whether to train or drive.

Access to Castleton is completely clear, and has good access to Mam Tor. Winnats pass is technically closed but plenty of people still using it.

If you're climbing any of the Mam Tor gully routes I'd recommend going at night as the turf has been thawing during the day. Obviously the ridges and the main path will be fine all day.

Snow coverage of around 18" with drifts up to 4' dotted about.

Have a good one :)

Does anyone know what the road conditions out to Edale are like? Having been unable to go winter walking in Scotland this season would like to head up Mam Tor in the snow instead, wondering whether to train or drive.

Assuming there's no more snow overnight, you can get up Winnatts pass and most of the way down the road by the Blue John Cavern down to where the road fell off the hill- I did it today in a normal front wheel drive car. The road further up Rushop was closed, but I would imagine if you were to park up by the cavern you could make it a fair way up there by foot. The snow is really rather deep past there though and hasn't been ploughed, so be prepared.

I didn't try approaching by the Edale side, but there were loads of people out all over the area with snowboards, caving gear and mountain bikes today, so I doubt you'd be alone :)

I'm ashamed to say I haven't even left the house today, so I've no idea how much snow there is left out on the roads etc in my area.

Tonight the winds are blowing from the North East and are set to stay that way for a while yet. There is plenty of precipitation in the North Sea that I reckon could blow over us and give us some flurries but the confidence is low with official weather outlets for it to manage to keep together all the way down here.

Tuesday and Wednesday looks like it could well be nasty again, snow wise. Could be 3rd time lucky in regards to a snow day as parts of Sheffield have been badly affected in one or both of the past two events but we haven't had blanket covering of everywhere yet this year.

It's just above freezing at the moment but tomorrow and Monday nights are going to be bitterly cold, well under freezing and in rural parts might even get down to -10c

I'm ashamed to say I haven't even left the house today, so I've no idea how much snow there is left out on the roads etc in my area.

Tonight the winds are blowing from the North East and are set to stay that way for a while yet. There is plenty of precipitation in the North Sea that I reckon could blow over us and give us some flurries but the confidence is low with official weather outlets for it to manage to keep together all the way down here.

Tuesday and Wednesday looks like it could well be nasty again, snow wise. Could be 3rd time lucky in regards to a snow day as parts of Sheffield have been badly affected in one or both of the past two events but we haven't had blanket covering of everywhere yet this year.

It's just above freezing at the moment but tomorrow and Monday nights are going to be bitterly cold, well under freezing and in rural parts might even get down to -10c

None at all on the roads around here twirler, and thankypungornthe update is Tuesday/Wednesday looking like a big drop or just an inch or so?

The peak district particularly round Castleton is absolutely stunning when there is snow on the ground.

You often walk for miles without seeing anyone.

Just make sure you wear the right clothing, as someone once said there is no such thing as bad weather only bad clothing choices ;)

I have to book a taxi for 11.15 tonight to take me into Rotherham. An overnight duty.

Last Thursday morning was a struggle, I nearly didn't get home, the roads were so bad.

What chance in the morning? (I shall need my sleep)

Thank you, any help is appreciated.x