Tolerance, is it a virtue or a vice?

I'm getting the impression, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that you're considering tolerance, only in the context of tolerating other people who may have different views to us?

No it is courageous to live your life in a manner that respects others regardless of what some sections of society tell you.

I don't disagree with you.

I do disagree however, if you're equating tolerance with courage.

To my mind, tolerance being a virtue or not, depends largely what it is that's being tolerated. In some cases, tolerance is a good thing; in other cases, no so much.

---------- Post added 12-12-2014 at 23:20 ----------

I'd also say confidence is more about doing what you inwardly know to be the right thing, despite possibly adverse consequences for yourself. What do you think?

Tolerance is usually described as a good thing, 'the British are a very tolerant people'.

But is it really?

Surely it depends upon your definition of the word?

Should your definition be ' prepared to accept views which differ from yours' then yes, it's a good thing.

On the other hand, if your definition is ' prepared to put up with views and actions which you consider wrong for both moral and legal reasons, but can't be bothered to do anything about' then maybe not such a good thing.